What Spark Plugs to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this in another Spark Plug forum with an answer from Champion:

Jaak Lepson

Copied post below *********************************

Recently when buying plugs at my dealer, they said the price had gone up as they only carry Pt tipped plugs - up from US$2.6 to $6.5. On opening the LR labelled pack, I find Champ RN11YCC. Curious, sure they are NOT Pt plugs, I finally found a Champion web site. Here is the response:

I am the Technical Co-ordinator for Champion. The facts are as follows.

RN11YCC is homologated on Rover V8 the Champion service life is 40,000 KM but this may vary to local conditions and fuel. Rover will advise this.
RC11PYPB4 is the latest homologated plug for the V8 and coincides with many other engine changes including OBD (on board diagnostics). This plug is
recommended for 100,000KM. YCC is double copper PYPB is double copper with platinum pad on the ground electrode and a platinum rivet on the centre
electrode. Both plugs will suit the engine although the later engines are
better suited to the platinum. It may be necessary to modify the plug leads on the older engine to take the RC11PYPB4 as the insulator is smaller. The added cost of the platinum is reflected in the increase in service life.

I cannot comment on the local politics of when the plugs should be changed! Both plugs may be in Land Rover packs but will be clearly labelled RN11YCC or RC11PYPB4. from Dave Bates [[email protected]]

When I confronted the dealer with this email, ah... 'it is a mistake by the counter salesman, the high price was just the Pound being high when we bought them.'

Sadly the dealer is pretty much the only guy who carries Champs of this type down here in Saudi.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bosch website for:

Land Rover
Discovery
V8 4.6 liter

No available part has been found for this vehicle at this time.

This is the wall I keep comming up against!!!!! Blahhhh

D

discomike

So, take that plug number to your favorite auto parts store and have them cross reference it or ask for the plug # I gave you.
Mike J.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... just an update from NGK Canada that I received today via e-mail.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, we do not have that application 100% verified, therefore we have not published the spark plug (s) listing on either our website or our printed catalogue.

My research shows that it should be:

STANDARD_PLUG BPR5ES
STD_STK 7522
V_POWER BPR5EY
V_STK 3247
GP_PLG BPR5EGP
GP_STK 7082
IX_PLG BPR5EIX
IX_STK 6597

But as originally stated this has not been confirmed.

Regards,

Spark Plug Technical Help

NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken the 4.0/4.6 takes the same plugs. Also, I looked up on Bossh's web site for a (random 4.6) 97 Range rover HSE with 4.6 and it showed the following plugs:

WR8DC SUPER PLUG Gap=.032

4306 PLATINUM2 Do not Gap

4218 PLATINUM PART Gap=.032

WR8DP PLATINUM PLUG Gap=.032

7506 SUPER PART Gap=.032

4478 PLATINUM+4 Do not Gap

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... after much research and feedback from a few Porsche wrenches I have decided to go with the NGK BPR5EIX Iridium Spark Plugs. The truck still has 2 years warrenty left on it and I don't want to screw with it too much.

Got the plugs from http://www.clubplug.net

Jaak

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Jaak do you have to rub the Porsche part in *my* face? LOL :eviltongu

I run NGK as well in the Rover, never had any issues yet. I got mine from Nathan Crabtree who also suggested NGK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM