Broke my glass roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not trying to start any issues here, but I would never have been on the roof and expected the glass to support me. Even if it weren't glass, I would never stand on the sheet metal of a vehicles roof either. I may be overly cautious, but that just seemed like common sense to me.

The crazy thing is, I went and looked all through the owners manual looking for a warning of some type to tell you to stay off the roof or even not set anything on the roof glass. I came up with nothing.

Like I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone. It just seemed like putting anything on a big sheet of glass like that was a bad idea.

Rob
I have to agree with you. I wouldn't put that much weight on either a glass or steel roof.

JIm

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you. I wouldn't put that much weight on either a glass or steel roof.

JIm

I was also wondering what the OP was doing on the glass on top of the vehicle. Oh well, stuff happnes and thanks to the OP now we know not to do that.

K18K34

Reaction score
K18K34 Do you think the crack occurred from the car wash hitting the glass roof or the sudden temperature change? I live in Las Vegas and if it is from changes in temperature, it would definitely alter when I get my car washed, early mornings versus later in the day. I go to a Hand wash place, but figured I would ask.

No, it was from them hitting the antenna. The antenna had abrasions and the crack splintered out from the antenna.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced my roof glass on a month long camping trip due to climing on the roof to get to the Yakima box. . .and just accidently kneeling on the glass. $1,260 mistake. This was on my LR3, not LR4.

Domoic

Reaction score
OP here! Time for an update. Sorry for the delay.

@ Count Laszlo - The total bill was just over $1,400. I was positively surprised! The dealer estimated $2,500 but it came in $1,000 less. I did not go through insurance. jjvd21 wins!!!!!

@ K18K34 - no problems with the fix. Looked brand new. No smudges on the inside.

@ crewcabrob - you are right, not a good idea. But like I said, I had been up there so many times, I guess I got cocky/lazy - instead of keeping my weight on the rack, I put it all on the glass (and almost all on one knee, to boot).

@ baobay - like my post said - I have a large roof rack and ladder. You know, like the heritage of Land Rover and expedition racks? I was up there to secure some cargo (someone was passing me an Adirondack chair).

@ schafari - sorry dude. But misery loves company!! Thanks for sharing

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Domoic,

That's great to hear it came in well below the estimate. How many times does that really happen? It seems like it never happens to me.

You will have to keep us posted if you hear any creaking or poping. Over time, it would also be helpful for those who still have the LR4 to hear if you have noticed any leaks.

Good luck!

Rob

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed I have a crack at the passenger rear edge of my roof glass. Looks like a rock or something pointy impacted it. Crack is small emanating from the impact point. Oh well. Debating whether to wait and see what the cold weather does to it so I can get through the winter and have it done when warmer. Ugh. Spoke to my dealer and they said they've done a few, they won't bill insurance though.

Wish they made a 3M film product for it.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought about a 3M product for the roof... Definitely a good idea though, NASdiesel.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had windscreens fixed (or at least the chips/cracks stopped) by safelight and it stopped a bad crack from spreading...maybe that will work? Just make sure they use a vacuum to help get the epoxy into the crack. GL

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had mine replaced...if i remember correctly around $1800 for my lr4. the dealers in Houston TX all call a third party glass guy. he did a great job. not sure if the headliner came out or not, if he did remove it you sure can't tell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72