Help! My LR4 Needs a New Engine & I Need Your Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@nwoods interesting take on the DIY. I'm like you, polar opposite of mechanically inclined. Owning this LR4 has gotten me thinking about picking up a wrench and learning to use it. I already have in lots of ways, not the engine, but things like trailer hitch and wiring harness and roof rack. I've always been intimidated by anything mechanical. My biggest fear is breaking it or doing a small thing that cascades into a real mess. What I need is an old engine that is already broken. I would be okay with tearing that apart and trying to fix it. After all, what's the worst that can happen?

I've watched the YouTube videos too. I got the same impression as you. Seems like most of what they do is remove bolts and replace parts. But those videos are edited. It's always simple, until it's not.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coil overs? You have already ruined the vehicle so I would say burn it.
Coil overs are for Toyotas.

The air suspension is one of my favorite parts of this vehicle.

I’m on a LR3/4 Facebook group and everyone there overblows the timing chain and air suspension problems.

AMMPKII

Reaction score
Update for those interested (@TonyInIdaho):

I chose to purchase a brand new 5.0L V8 Long Block engine from Land Rover. Because the local dealer doesn’t often do a full engine swap on discontinued models, they recommended a well known Land Rover independent shop who does so many they have a waitlist (!!!!). The independent shop did the swap and installed a new cooling system, injectors, etc. I have the car back and so far it runs well. I have both a Land Rover warranty on the new engine (1 year unlimited miles) and the reputable shop’s additional warranty on the work done (1 year 12k miles). My decision to choose the “nuclear” option and buy a brand new LR factory motor that cost more than the vehicle’s value came down to a few things:

1- I truly enjoy the vehicle and wanted to continue driving it for a very long time. Looks great, drives great, luxury feel but good off-road. If there was a chassis worth putting a new engine into, it would be this one. 2013 model year with the Heavy Duty and Lux packages. A California car with good bones. I haven’t found another make/model, new or used, that can do all the things this rig can do while looking so damn good.

2- I have a young family and I wanted the option that gave us the greatest peace of mind. The OEM engine obviously has issues. But the gremlins are known to us all. With proper maintenance, a careful watch, and a good warranty, the OEM option was my “solve it once and for all” move. Whether that pans out, I don’t know. I’ll tell you in two years. But I’m a believer that “the stingy man pays twice”.

3- The price of putting the new engine into the LR4 = The price of selling the LR4 and buying a slightly used car.

4- My insurance company agreed to raise my LR4’s insurance value to nearly $50k based on the receipts I provided from the engine swap and other upgrades (@HuskerBred, @TonyInIdaho, @LR4Slavo). I proactively contacted them to discuss the situation and they were very helpful. It did not increase my premiums either.

I will update the thread in the future to give feedback on life with a 90k mile chassis and 100 mile new engine. For now, I’m happy with the choice.

PS to @f1racer328 and @ktm525, my insurance company was ecstatic that I’d replaced the air suspension with coils. And I actually enjoy the ride better.

Last edited:

AMMPKII

Reaction score
A huge thank you to those who posted here and gave their feedback. Especially @timc930, your post definitely made me feel better about my plight

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the insurance Company provide reasons on why they were ecstatic that the suspension was modified from the manufacturers stock design? Perhaps this is a new kit but coil over kits used to require dongles to counteract the stability and traction control errors that would result. I can't see any insurance Company getting "ecstatic" about a vehicle with modifications but I guess there is always an exception. What Company would this be if you don't mind me asking?

AMMPKII

Reaction score
Did the insurance Company provide reasons on why they were ecstatic that the suspension was modified from the manufacturers stock design? Perhaps this is a new kit but coil over kits used to require dongles to counteract the stability and traction control errors that would result. I can't see any insurance Company getting "ecstatic" about a vehicle with modifications but I guess there is always an exception. What Company would this be if you don't mind me asking?

First question they asked when I said I had done a few upgrades and would like to increase the agreed upon value of my vehicle:

“Have you replaced the air suspension with a fixed suspension?” When I said yes…their response “fantastic, that will actually lower your premium.”

I didn’t ask why they were happy, I took the win and went home. I switched to coil for my own reasons, just so happened my insurers were happy I did. You’re passionate about air ride suspension, my friend. Cheers to you.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok they are looking at a lower cost for replacement purposes not the liability side. Yeah I like the air springs, IMO it is one of the best features of the rig. Can duck into parking garages that are low, hit off road mode when needed and of course the super extended mode can be helpful. My favorite feature is the self levelling ride if I load up the rear or hook up a heavy trailer. That is the best feature for me. Of course there are well known failure points on the air system that require TLC. What coil system did you use and did it require dongles?

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
Congrats on getting your LR back on the road. I wish I could get a brand new engine on my 2nd hand Truck, just so I can take care of the engine and not worry about what the last guy did to it.

While my 76k engine is still running good, and I take care of it as well as I can, if I run into the same situation as you, I'd likely make the same call. That, or go with Tapa 2nd stage engine. Not sure which would be better, so hoping there's enough Tapa engine reviews available and let cost also help me decide.

Please keep us updated on how things go for you, it could help others here make the right call if needed.

AMMPKII

Reaction score
Congrats on getting your LR back on the road. I wish I could get a brand new engine on my 2nd hand Truck, just so I can take care of the engine and not worry about what the last guy did to it.

While my 76k engine is still running good, and I take care of it as well as I can, if I run into the same situation as you, I'd likely make the same call. That, or go with Tapa 2nd stage engine. Not sure which would be better, so hoping there's enough Tapa engine reviews available and let cost also help me decide.

Please keep us updated on how things go for you, it could help others here make the right call if needed.
@DiscoLR4, as much as I love the fact I’m driving a “brand new” LR4 and don’t have to worry about what a previous owner did to the engine…it still would have been nice to keep the original engine. I’m Billy Madison and you’re his 4th grade classmate: “Stay here. Stay for as long as you can. For the love of god cherish your 76k mile engine that’s still running good”.

I’m sure Tapa makes a great product. Keith was super responsive and gave me a bid on the full swap (it was 2/3 the price of the route I took). I couldn’t even find one bad review or unhappy customer. The only reason I went OEM…it was the devil I knew. There may be a Tapa engine out there with 8 years and 100k miles on it with no failure. But I couldn’t find reviews back that far.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insurance tip to increase the value with a new engine. I'm planning on getting the Tapa engine in about a month or so. If the rig were totaled I'd lose that $20k towards the engine if they didn't know about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72