2016 LR4 Landmark SCV6 Engine Failure at 65k. WWYD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That lower portion could be tough..
oil tube .png

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could put an elbow on the oil level sensor housing, attach a long tube. Run the tube to the top side. Insert your dip stick in the tube.

teleskier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me with te PVC valve and vacuum pump being culprits. had 5 qrtz missing and no indication from the dash. truly nuts.
It is really unacceptable if you ask me. Based on the diagram above, there is a low oil sensor. Based on this experience that is a non-functional part.... and actually even worse than not having it at all. It provides some sense of security that the engine has a check on this sort of thing, but in my case it was over 50% down and no light. I don't know the critically low level, but had I had ANY indication of a problem I may have saved my engine.

teleskier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your oil weekly?
I will add that the electronic gauge is totally useless for another reason. It goes from the very bottom gauge (empty) to full over about 1 quart of oil but only at the very top of the volume. Its not linear. In other words, at 7.5 quarts it will indicate low, and at 8.5 quarts it will indicate full. A major pain to fill the oil if you don't start form empty because you have to go through this whole process on the gauges over and over while you add oil to not over fill. Empty, Empty, Empty, Empty, FULL. Also, if it is on the low side, one would think that an indicator light would pop on, but it doesnt. Check your gauges folks.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be snarky with my previous comment. That would be my legit first response. Then I'd get mad, like it sounds you are. Without getting into specifics of the why and how of it, no normally maintained engine should blow up at 65k miles, unless it's a KIA. You might have some leverage there and a story to tell. LR or the dealership may be willing to give you "go away" money rather than have you ranting and raving to everyone who will listen that they sold you an LR and the engine blew up at 65k miles.

I've worked in customer service in the past and it can be a strange upside down world sometimes. For instance, I've seen customers that were totally in the wrong with damaged product and they kicked up an irrational fuss and threaten the local retail manager with complaining to "corporate". Rather than having "corporate" come back and blame the manager of the local outlet, the manager would give the customer whatever they asked for just to keep corporate out of it. Basically, it didn't matter who was right or wrong, all that mattered to the manager was saving his job by not looking bad in the eyes of corporate that had an image to uphold.

teleskier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be snarky with my previous comment.
Didn't take it that way at all! I have the truck at a 3rd party shop right now, but will call the dealership tomorrow to bring the issue up. Almost all maintenance done there. I did call them about this issue right before it happened (thought it was a timing chain), but ended up at the other shop because it was 30% cheaper for timing chains there. Trying to control the relentless spend by bringing it to an independent. In this case perhaps that was the wrong choice. Dead truck on their lot would probably speak volumes.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is really unacceptable if you ask me. Based on the diagram above, there is a low oil sensor. Based on this experience that is a non-functional part.... and actually even worse than not having it at all. It provides some sense of security that the engine has a check on this sort of thing, but in my case it was over 50% down and no light. I don't know the critically low level, but had I had ANY indication of a problem I may have saved my engine.
good point - how low does the oil need to be to trigger the low level threshold?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72