Overheating issue! LR4 2016 SCV6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4whit2016

Reaction score
Hi!

Just bought this LR4. It’s a 2016 HSE with about 45k miles. Absolutely love it. I’ve always wanted one of these and it took about 6 months to find this one after a few failed attempts at a few others.

Of course I did as much research as I could to be be prepared for what comes with LR4 ownership and that’s what brought me here! Hoping to get some help on an overheating problem I’m encountering.

I’ve only put about 200 miles on the vehicle and it’s over heated 5+ times. The overheating will occur after about 20 to 30 minutes of driving and once I accelerate up a hill. The temp gauge will rush up to H and the overheating warning will illuminate. I’ll pull over or let off the gas and the temp gauge will drop down to center.

I’ve hit the engine with a temp gun and the hottest it has registered after an event like this is 200 degrees. It comes from the left side of the front of the engine.

I’ve brought it to a shop who is familiar with LRs and this model. They haven’t been able to figure out the issue. They were able to replicate it and had it hooked up to the computer but nothing jumped out at them. They did a test for a blown head gasket and it came negative.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 41

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either a sticking thermostat or the mechanical cooling fan hitting the shroud.
With the engine off, turn the fan by hand and check for any rubbing on the shroud.

LR4whit2016

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought it might be related to the thermostat. Turned the fan this morning. It does rub. What are your thoughts on next steps as far as the fan is concerned?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought it might be related to the thermostat. Turned the fan this morning. It does rub. What are your thoughts on next steps as far as the fan is concerned?
To be totally unhelpful, you brought it to a shop that proclaims to be familiar with these, and they couldn't figure out the fan or a potential thermostat?? Next step is to find another shop!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The correct repair is to replace the motor mounts. That is a major ordeal.
Or, you can remove that brush looking section that is in the fan shroud. It just snaps in.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do motor mounts typically go bad on the LR4? I'm wondering if mine at 100k need to be replaced as preventative maintenance, but I don't have that problem. I'd hate to have that occur when I'm out in BFE.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do.
Biggest give away is, that the air intake tube will be sitting directly on the upper fan shroud. Usually there is a 1/2" gap.
You can also feel when the mounts are bad. When you shift into drive, the engine will jump up.

For the amount of work involved, it is not a maintenance item.

thebruce

Reaction score
Hmm. Was the cross over pipes and thermostat already replaced? Any signs of those leaking (yet)?

One random thought would be if the prior owner replaced the thermostat before selling and didn't properly bleed the system. I had trouble getting the air bubbles out of mine. Silly question but do u have heat from front/rear?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72