2015 LR4 SCV6 Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LandRobert

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So, last year I got my hands on a 2015 LR4 SCV6 with 10k miles (yes, you read that right ten thousand miles). It actually even has the new car smell. After driving it for a while I realized it was giving about 9 mpg. So the journey began:

By reading the engine coolant temp 1 and 2 we saw that sensor temp 2 (sensor next to the thermostat) was not increasing at all. So I decided to do a vacuum test on the coolant system and it wouldn't hold vacuum for more than 10 seconds. WS manual says 1 minute @ -1 bar. I decided to replace the front and rear crossover pipes, and surprisingly @ 10k miles the front crossover pipe was already failing, there was some evident seepage where the pipe meets the engine block. So the F/R crossover pipes were replaced, the oil cooler tube was replaced, water pump gaskets, intake manifold gaskets and thermostat. That took me about 6 months, the rear crossover pipe was in backorder (5 months and 29 days) 1 day to put it all back together.

The coolant system was vacuum refilled and out we went for a test drive. I was surprised to see the avg fuel consumption drop drastically to 17.5 mpg, however happiness was short lived. A couple of days later fuel consumption increased to about 10 mpg and the MIL went on. My iCar Soft scanner pointed out to be one of the HO2 sensors, so I took it off, checked it with the multimeter and indeed, the heating element was blown, multimeter showed OL across the element pins. So I went ahead and installed a new one and again out we went for a test drive, avg fuel consumption corrected to 12.7-13 mpg. And that's where we are right now.

How's your mpg doing in the city fellas? Some sources on the internet say that LR4s do 14 city, 19 highway, 16 combined. I know that 13 mpg is not too far from 14 mpg. So I just want to rest assured that there's nothing else to do on that matter.

Note: There's a Field Service Action Bulletin, published on Aug 22 that says:

To address concerns with the correct operation of the Oxygen (O2) Sensors, new Powertrain Control Module(PCM) software is required on the models, engine variants and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) ranges described above.(my VIN is in the range)
Action to be taken

At the next service opportunity you are requested to reconfigure the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the latest level of software.

And this particular LR4 I've got has an OEM roof rack (wind drag?)

So that's about it, would you be so kind as of to share some data on your fuel economy?

Thanks a lot!

myLR4.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The snorkel? and roof rack are going to drop your MPG a little bit.

Check out fuelly.com

I've averaged 13.6 MPG over 76,000 miles, but I have the V8.

Find a clean stretch of highway with little elevation change, set your cruise control to 55 or 65 MPH and reset the onboard trip and see what you get.

The onboard computer is optimistic by about 7% on my vehicle, and I have calibrated it down with the GAP IID tool.

MPG on these is one of the very few downsides. Enjoy the new vehicle!

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My average from 158 fuel logs and 39k mi. is 15.8mpg. Lowest was 12.5, usually around town I get about 14.

Attachments

• IMG_2227.png
    IMG_2227.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 41

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving mostly suburban roads these days. Less hwy, more local. I get 13.5-14.5 based on actual data (not the onboard computer). I have cross bars and 18” KO2’s (about the same overall size as OEM). I think the heavy tires made an impact of about 2 mpg compared to the original 20” all seasons.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
I have the 2015 MY, bought it at 65k, now at 75k. I get 14mpg around town (haven't registered any highway miles on it unfortunately). I'm on 255/60 Toyo AT3, so that hurts performance a bit as well

LandRobert

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and do a small highway trip, about 40 miles, I'll fill the tank up with premium gas, reset the odometer then refill again and see how it does. I'm running on 255/55/R20 Pirelli Scorpion All Season, OEM was 255/50/R20, I wanted a bit more of profile on the tires for *** holes and whatnot. As for the snorkel, there's only one on the passenger's side. And I just realized my tires were underinflated to 30 psi, it does get really hot here on the south around this time of year so I'll do 35 psi on the front and 41 psi on the rear.

What sets me off a bit is that I also own a 2021 Land Cruiser which has a 5.7 L V8 and it does 13.2 mpg on the city and is heavy as hell, so how come the LR4 is doing the same or less on an SCV6?

I'll keep you posted guys
Thanks a lot for your feedback

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72