Headlight bulb recommendation needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side low beam headlight went out today on my 2012 LR4 HSE V8. I've looked at many local stores and on Amazon for a pair of replacements but it gets confusing on which way to go, Halogen or LED; and which brand is good and not break my Bank...
I've also searched this forum but the postings were old...If I could buy a pair of low beam bulbs locally that would be best if not I don't mind ordering them online either...
I just want to see the road good at night.(plus I use them during the day for visibility for other drivers on the road)...
So if anyone here has any recommendations, I'd be most thankful for your input...
- MT

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as they are dim in comparison to LED bulbs (or Xenon), the LED bulbs just blind oncoming traffic because they aren't designed to work with the reflector/projector your car is equipped with. I've stayed away from them. I tried "brighter" halogen bulbs, Philips Crystal Vision that promised to be 60% brighter than stock. They were brighter, I don't know if they made that big a difference. They certainly didn't last - early November 2022 to late February 2023, based on my FCPEuro purchase history. I've gone back to Philips Long Life H11 bulb, they've lasted over a year so far. The long life H11 bulbs were under $10 each.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low beam is an H11 (assuming you don't have HIDs). Stock is 55w. One option is to buy a 65W H9 bulb, and remove the little tab inside the connector. This will give you a bit more brightness and since the filament is located in the same place with the same orientation, should actually throw light in the correct pattern. Downside is that the H9 bulbs will burn out faster than the H11.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best halogen replacement, as mentioned above, is an H9 bulb. They are much brighter. The downside is you have to ever-so-slightly modify the electrical connection on the bulb to remove a plastic tab, and the bulbs only last around 6 to 7 months.

This was my first stop on my long process to improve my headlights on my 2012.

I finally wound up installing some 2014+ xenon housings.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, @MarcusTriton if you are in CO, I have a set of Xenon housings for 2010-2013 that have been sitting on a shelf I'd be willing to part with. Had them on my 2012, and swapped back to halogens when I traded for my 2016.

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best halogen replacement, as mentioned above, is an H9 bulb. They are much brighter. The downside is you have to ever-so-slightly modify the electrical connection on the bulb to remove a plastic tab, and the bulbs only last around 6 to 7 months.

This was my first stop on my long process to improve my headlights on my 2012.

I finally wound up installing some 2014+ xenon housings.
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated, however when it comes to modifications, I'd be the first one to screw it up.LOL. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look. ...

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low beam is an H11 (assuming you don't have HIDs). Stock is 55w. One option is to buy a 65W H9 bulb, and remove the little tab inside the connector. This will give you a bit more brightness and since the filament is located in the same place with the same orientation, should actually throw light in the correct pattern. Downside is that the H9 bulbs will burn out faster than the H11.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the low beams were H11's all I heard is they were H7's...

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, @MarcusTriton if you are in CO, I have a set of Xenon housings for 2010-2013 that have been sitting on a shelf I'd be willing to part with. Had them on my 2012, and swapped back to halogens when I traded for my 2016.
Thanks for the offer, I'm on the east coast. I think I going to go with Halogens and I want the ones that will last...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to do any modifications and you want to stick with the halogens, the best bet is probably just a name brand bulb (Phillips or Osram) with no gimmicks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72