Anyone use a topsider oil extractor? EX mityvac, liquivac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on my LR3 but I do use a Mityvac to change the oil on the LR4. It is the fastest and least messy oil change you will ever do. Takes about 10 minutes once you understand how the switches and tubes work.

However, I don't use it on the LR3. Probably because:
- You have to get under the LR3 to change the oil filter anyway. (The LR4 oil filter is located on top of the engine)
- I'm running regular oil in the LR3 and I feel better draining out the bottom of the pan. (LR4 uses synthetic oil)
- And I like taking off the skid plate a couple times a year to get a good look around for any other leaks, torn CV boots, etc.

Also, the LR4 oil filler has a rubber fitting that fits the Mityvac drain hose perfectly. I'm not sure if the wide-open oil filler cap on the LR3 will allow the Mityvac to create enough suction to draw all the oil out.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used it on the LR3 once through the dip stick without issue. I have the Mityvac primarily for my Audi which has the oil filter on top. So as I've got to get underneath for the oil filter on the LR I may as well go the old fashioned route. That rush of oil out the bottom and playing "where should I best put the catch can" never gets old....one major benefit of the Mity ;-)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Home Depot and buy one of those orange 5 gallon buckets. Use it to support the skid plate while you remove and install the bolts. Then use it to catch the oil as well.

My old 4.2 allroad had about a 2" diameter oil bolt. All 8 quarts rushed out in about 5 seconds so the only way to catch it was the Home Depot bucket.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread revival. I just bought a mity vac and it only pulled 1.25 liters out of the LR3 before sucking air. I tried to move the sucker hose higher and lower but no results. Am I missing something?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread revival. I just bought a mity vac and it only pulled 1.25 liters out of the LR3 before sucking air. I tried to move the sucker hose higher and lower but no results. Am I missing something?

Yes.... the rest of the.oil lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72