air suspension - but not the question you think!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobL

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Love our new-to-me 2003 Disco SE. Not equipped with factory air suspension, of course, just regular coils and dampers.

What I can't seem to find any information about is aftermarket rear air shocks. I don't mean aftermarket repair parts for the HSE stuff, but good old-fashioned shocks with an air fitting to use when the truck is loaded with a ton of weight in the back and the ass end needs to get off the ground.

I've had these things in years past with passenger cars used for towing trailers, and my F350 dually has air bags to deal with excessive loads. Both had a simple air line connection on the bumper, hook up to any air pump.

Has anybody seen this sort of thing on a Disco?

Thanks in advance for any input.

- Rob

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I know that your rear should be a Monroe 37234 shock, you should be able to just Call up Monroe and ask if there Air Max will fit... I am pretty sure as long as the extended length is the same you should be able to use any Air shock as long as it fits.

RobL

Reaction score
Joey, thanks for the tip.

Monroe does not make a direct Max Air setup for the Disco, but speaking with their tech support got me to look at part number MA757:

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/MA757

Free length and compressed length are comparable to the standard shock, as is vehicle weight rating. The difference is in the shock eyes; the Rover uses 12mm at each end, the Monroe Max Air uses 1/2" at one and and 11/16" at the other. If the wider body will fit in the Rover's shock area, I can fabricate adapter sleeves to make the shock work with the standard Rover hardware.

Here's the best news; retail price on these is about $72 per pair. Yes, PAIR. That's cheaper than most standard economy shocks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like with a minor mod you will have air shocks then.

RobL

Reaction score
That sounds like with a minor mod you will have air shocks then.

Pretty much.

Ugh... just priced remote controller kits which include an on-board pump and dash-mounted power and bleed buttons. Around $145 for the convenience of on-the-fly control. I have that in my F350 and it's neat and all, but that changes the cost profile significantly.

I think if I do this, I'll set it up the old fashioned way first with an air fitting under the bumper.

- Rob

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you set it up with the fitting under the bumper it wouldn't be hard to buy the parts yourself at swap meets for a lot less money and you could have the remote set up on the cheap.

RobL

Reaction score
If you set it up with the fitting under the bumper it wouldn't be hard to buy the parts yourself at swap meets for a lot less money and you could have the remote set up on the cheap.

That's what I was thinking. I also might install a dual-purpose setup with a general-use air pump wired into the cargo area that I could use for tires also. Not as convenient as a push-button, but a better pump at half the price.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are thinking that way, why not get one of the CO2 air tank systems and you can have the best of all worlds and zero noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72