Tricking the air suspension to come on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Quick question, does anyone know if there’s a way to “trick” the air suspension compressor to come on with out the engine running? The compressor just runs off battery power, so with my voltage stabilizer it should run just fine. (Without the engine of course)

Long story even longer, I’d like to air it up into off road height to work underneath it, but I’m in the middle of major engine work….and it’s not gonna run anytime soon soooo…

Just curious if anyone has ever attempted this?

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread recently where someone mentioned that hazards on, ignition on, did exactly that
I just went out and tried it, no luck. But it was kind enough to tell me that stability control was not functioning and to drive safely! :driver:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the workshop manual:
"An additional function allows the vehicle to be raised or lowered from outside of the vehicle when the vehicle is stationary. For example, this may assist with the attachment of a trailer and is achieved using the buttons on the remote handset and the ignition switch in the off position. The remote handset can be programmed to perform a number of additional functions. For additional information, refer to: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems (501-14 Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems, Description and Operation)"

So maybe you don't use the button inside, but it's unclear which buttons on the key fob do what.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn the hazards on.

Press and hold the headlight button and the unlock button at the same time to go up.

Press and hold the headlight button and the trunk release button to go down.

It can be finicky as you have to press the buttons at the same time.

You can also go into build mode with the air suspension with a GAP tool. I think it’s under air suspension, service, and build mode. Something like that. Or service, air suspension, build mode.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll try them all! Thanks for the info! I had a feeling there may be a way way inside the Gap tool, just wasn’t sure.

Thanks!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll try them all! Thanks for the info! I had a feeling there may be a way way inside the Gap tool, just wasn’t sure.

Thanks!
On the IID tool.

Service/Test -> Suspension -> Build Mode.

You can control every corner individually or link it all together.

Sometimes it’s finicky when exiting build mode and getting it back into normal customer mode. You’ll get a message on your dashboard saying air suspension not in customer mode.

To fix this you can enter build mode again and exit right away. Sometimes it takes 2 tries.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The keyfob trick is what I would recommend, but keep in mind your doors have to be shut for it to work.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the key fob, it was a no go. That said, I just replaced mine, and I’m sure there’s some sort of functionality I’ll have to program/add to them.

I’m going to try the Gap tool next and see if I can get it to work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72