License plate bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elinders

Reaction score
First off; thanks to everyone here, we landed on a 2011 Lux with 57,000 miles and love it and all of you here were a big help in making my decision. It will be a perfect vehicle for our growing family (my wife is being induced at the hospital tomorrow, our 2nd boy). With the set up of the 2nd row we can have car seats in the two outside seats and the middle seat flat for our golden retriever, it's perfect.
Anyway, it was in a state that did not need a front plate, but we are in NY and do need one unfortunately. As much as I like the front of the car without a plate, I don't feel like risking a ticket with my plate on my dash.
So I guess I need to get a bracket for the plate. But is there anyway around drilling into the front bumper? And is the dealer the quickest place for the bracket?
Thanks again everyone! Oh and the LUX was the way to go as everyone said, smart move. The seats are awesome and none of them look like they have even been sat in, held up great.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.britishpartsofutah.com/LR3-Front-License-Plate-Bracket-Mount-p/dre500021pcl.htm

May be cheaper from a dealer, especially if you let them put one of those ghastly advertising frames on... I guess you could experiment with industrial strength Velcro instead of the supplied screws, but chances are someone may steal it eventually. I've always found this front license plate "screw holes" dilemma many of you guys have kind of funny, perhaps because I am also in a state - CA - where a front plate is mandatory and most dealers here screw the front holder on every new car on their lot, before you even have a chance to say something. If they are mandatory, who cares about the screw holes underneath? This ain't a Ferrari.

Elinders

Reaction score
Eh, I was just curious. I've never liked front license plates on any of my cars so it's more about having to put it on than the holes. Like you said, it's mandatory.
Thanks though.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Elinders, two things. First I had a conversation with a guy from the UK a while ago and apparently it's pretty common to attach license plates by a very strong adhesive over there. May be worth looking into some UK parts store. Wish I knew more than that to tell you exactly where to turn. Second, I've been in the business of responding to emergency calls, including traffic colllisions, for a long time now and in really dynamic collisions license plates placed on dashboards become high speed, sharp edged, projectiles and can cause some absolutely horrifying facial injuries. I too live in a two-plate state and when my front plate fell off I chose to risk the ticket (or my ability to talk my way out of one!) over injuries to a loved one. Just my thoughts. Hope they help.

Elinders

Reaction score
Wow. Walking out to put it in my glove box as we speak, never thought of that. Thanks. Going to stop in at the dealer this week and grab a bracket.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Elinders, I recently also bought an 11 LR4 that came from Michigan (no front plate state). Needed one for Colorado. I found a LR factory front license plate bracket on eBay for $30. Came with hardware and installed in a couple of minutes. Like you, I'd rather not have a front plate but not worth the hassle getting attention from some hard ass officer. Seemed like the easiest solution.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a front plate on either of our cars in Ca for the last 16 years. Have had a couple tickets here and there, but the missing front plate has never been an issue.

I too loathe drilling holes for it. Until I get a ticket or two, I'm chancing it.

Speaking of ghastly looking things. What's up with dealers in some states putting a big ugly advertising sticker on the back of your car?
I truly hope that's optional for all of you cause it seems horrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up with dealers in some states putting a big ugly advertising sticker on the back of your car?

I always ask them not to apply any decals and if it's too late, I politely request that they remove it prior to accepting delivery. Never had any pushback from a dealer. I never bother commenting when they put their branded license plate frame around my temporary tags. I just go straight home and remove those myself. I mean, I don't need to be a **** about it. :cool:

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
I too loathe drilling holes for it. Until I get a ticket or two, I'm chancing it.

Speaking of ghastly looking things. What's up with dealers in some states putting a big ugly advertising sticker on the back of your car?

Amen! I called my dealership just based on this thread and told my salesman that under no circumstances do I want them to mount any manner of license plate bracket or device to the front of my vehicle when it arrives. I'll risk the ticket before I'll have some guy drilling holes in my new LR4.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elinders: You ever get your bracket? You are welcome to mine if you want it. Just pay for the UPS charges. It is brand new - just picked up the truck on Friday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72