LR4 Smart Key Not Found TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrrb

Reaction score
Just had my White on Black LR4 delivered before Christmas. Everything has been great until a couple of days ago when the car wouldn't start. See TSB below. Here's what happened:

While driving . . .
1. NAV map disappeared and some message about audio/video appeared
2. Then, tire pressure warning message appeared

Then we turned LR4 off to check tire pressure (nothing was wrong with tires or pressure)

Then attempt to start LR4 failed with "Smart Key Not Found" message appearing. Even holding the key under the steering column didn't work. None of the keys worked.

The dealer then got involved. They first tried a "battery hard reset" (as outlined in TSB) and this did nothing so my LR4 got towed to the dealer which was a challenge since wheels were locked up.

Long story short, there is this Dec 3 TSB about an intermittent problem with the keys. So we're waiting for new keys. Here are my questions.

1. Has anyone had this problem and did the new keys fix it?
2. How can you tell the new keys from the old? The dealer says it is the same part# but there must be some code version# to identify the new from the old. Since this is a known problem to Land Rover, I will not feel confident unless I know I have the correct keys.
3. This is a big deal as you can get stranded anywhere. Seems like a poor design. My Audi that has a smart key system allows the driver to push the buttom OR use the key blade in the ignition. Not only does this allow the car to start but you can put it in neutral so you can at least tow it or push it if necessary.
4. Is there anyway to unlock the car when it doesn't start for towing purposes? This is important even for placing it on a flatbed truck.
5. The LR4 was literally dragged onto the tow truck (maybe for 10 feet). Any issues with that?

Very discouraging.

Id 42955
Models LM – New Range Rover
LS – Range Rover Sport
LA – Discovery 4
Title 10MY Smart Kay Not Found
Last Modified 03-DEC-2009 07:44
Category Electrical
Symptom 203000 Basic Electrical
Issue

The ignition will not turn on / Engine will not
Start and the message ‘Smart Key Not
Found’ is the displayed on the Instrument
Pack message centre.

Cause

The problem is identified as Phased Loop
Lock-out (PLL), in this scenario the
Transmitter within the Smart Key is blocked
from making the appropriate transmission to
the vehicle. The failure mode is intermittent
and therefore it is not always repeatable.

Action

Carry out a battery hard reset, if this does not
Content resolve the issue and no other failure modes
are identified with the vehicle, then replace
the original two and any subsequent keys the
customer has for the vehicle.

Updated keys are available, under the
following numbers via a Critical Parts Order.

Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.

433 MHz LR020366

315 MHz LR020365

Discovery4 and LR4

433 MHz LR020364

315 MHz LR020363

forossola

Reaction score
Hi,

This is not a key problem as you should have been able to start the vehicle placing the key next to the steering column.

You can tell whether they are new keys or old key looking at the part number:

Old parts are: AH42-15K601-AC or BC (depending on the market)
New Parts are: AH42-15K601-AD or BD

Hope this helps!

lrrb

Reaction score
Where on the key can you see the part#? Thanks.

forossola

Reaction score
You will need to drag out the metal part were the mechanical key is located. You will see the marking on the botton side once the metal frame is out.

forossola

Reaction score
By the way, I do insist the issue you had has nothing to do with the key´s themselves. It sounds more like a general vehicle internal communication issue. The thing that the NAV failed and the Tyre pressure also was triggered is an indication that the electronics are not working fine. "Smart Key Not Found" is triggered when general failure happens also.

lrrb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The LR4 is still in the shop and we may be testing the lemon law very soon. According to the TSB above and the dealer, if this sort of failure occurs then you're totally locked out and the key is the solution.

Land Rover and the dealer now think there is some sort of short in the wiring somewhere but they haven't found it yet.

I'm beginning to think what I'd like for a replacement vehicle when they're unable to fix the one I have.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI. I just found your post. The exact same thing has happened to me in my LR4. It has been in and out of the dealer 3 days now. They are not saying that there is a loose module or harness somewhere that it causing the problem. I pick it up tomorrow am, so we'll see if that fixed it. Did you get yours fixed? If so, can you tell me what the solution was so i can share with my dealer? Thanks!

lrrb

Reaction score
Hi ndrenfro, I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. First, they replaced the key and the problem was still there so that TSB was not relevant to this problem (although I was frustrated with LR because there was no way to identify the new keys from the old problem keys).

After having the car in the shop for weeks and tearing everything apart (it looked like the scene from the 1971 movie "The French Connection" where they tear the car apart looking for drugs). When my wife came by to pick up stuff left in the car, she saw (and took photos) of the car with the steering wheel in the rear seat and every panel off. They were looking for a pinched wire as the source of the short causing the problem. BTW, at this point they brought in the regional LR tech to help figure it out.

Ultimately I am told that they diagnosed the problem to a pinched wire behind the instrument panel. Since they said it was to expensive to pull it out, they fed in a new wire which supposedly fixed the problem. I say supposedly since I never saw the physical evidence of the problem, and by this point Land Rover was so embarassed that they offered to buy the car back at the full price paid (there was only about 1000 miles on it at the time).

LR offered to get me a new one or take the buy out. I suggested, that to keep me in the LR family (this was the first LR for us), that they give me an extended warranty on a new LR4 for the trouble they put us through and give me some confidence in their product. They refused, so we figured if they don't believe in their product, why should I.

Bottom line we took the money and ran. Which is too bad because I liked the LR4 and my local dealer was fantastic, but I need a car that works and LR USA treated us in a way where we felt they just didn't value us as customers. Although to their credit, they did give a full refund even before the lemon law fully kicked in. BTW, we ended up getting a CX-9; I know it's not an LR4 and doesn't have the off-road ability, but it works and my wife is very happy (and it was $20k less).

So . . . my advice, is get the regional LR tech involved and have your dealer be an advocate for you in dealing with LR USA. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it appears that the problem with mine has been solved. I had this TPM error and subsequent shutdown of NAV (and A/C and pretty much all electronics) happen frequently and almost exclusively when i braked moderately. I had it in and out of the dealer for a few days. First they thought it was the computer programming, that didnt fix it. Then, since it happened usually when braking, they figured some wiring must be loose that disconnects during braking. They took it apart and found a harness loose behind the NAV. They connected it and now it appears to be working fine. I've just had it a day and no errors or shutdowns, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Now if I could just get my satellite radio to get better reception :hmpf:

jouli

Reaction score

Nice, clean and well done post Congratulation. I wondering? You didn't dye the fabric, did you?sites are source of information and knowledge.this is one of them.i read all the post and like it so much.I book mark it and mail all of my friends to must check it.so thanks on this nice sharing,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72