Rethinking Adding Rear Entertainment - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have until March 18 to change my order one consideration is the Rear Entertainment. No kids now but a grandchild on the way. How does is work? How well does it work? Any cool capabilities? Any added features besides just watching a DVD in the 2nd row? Any common, known issues or risks?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my "review". First off, $2500 is a lot of dough for, basically, a couple of 8" LCDs and a DVD player, no doubt you could save yourself a bundle by purchasing a couple of iPads, iPad headrest hanger thingies and headphones with similar results, and as a bonus you can take the iPad(s) with you when you get there. However, an integrated system looks a lot cleaner and unobtrusive than some tablets hanging from the front seats. There are an additional, dedicated RCA A/V and USB input for rear passengers in addition to the front single slot DVD player, so one passenger can connect a USB stick with music or DivX encoded movies, or even a video game console, to play in the back while the other rear passenger watches a movie or listens to the radio.

To me, the coolest feature is that the system can decode and play multi-channel tracks through the speakers in the car. Dolby Digital or DTS encoded soundtracks sound fantastic through the Logic7 system. If you are an audiophile, you may pick the Rear Seat Entertainment system for that reason alone, even if you don't have kids and never watch movies. Try playing a DVD-Audio with a 5.1 track or a DTS 5.1 encoded music CD, the system will literally come alive with amazing definition in a truly three-dimensional soundstage. Can't do that with an iPad or an aftermarket DVD player hooked up to the sound system.

Video quality on the headrest mounted rear monitors is excellent (especially if you have tinted / privacy windows back there, which really cut back on the glare), mediocre on the front touchscreen since that monitor wasn't really designed for movie playback and it displays a washed out picture even in ideal viewing conditions. Also, video playback goes blank on the touchscreen when you are moving for safety reason, but that means that the front passenger cannot enjoy a DVD when the car is in motion either (in Europe they have Dual View touchscreen technology for that. but not here in North America.)

I don't know if they redesigned the RSE's infrared remote on the 2014, but the one supplied with my 2013 is not very intuitive or easy to use, especially for kids - which I assume will be the main benefactors of the system back there... Fortunately, the front supervisor menu allows you to control just about every playback option for your rear passengers, something else you cannot do with an aftermarket or portable system. Unfortunately, the system won't remember the options you set for them, and after each engine shutoff it will reset to the defaults, so you'll have to punch in which monitor you want to turn back on every time.

The two supplied WhiteFire wireless headphones are of high quality, sound great, are comfortable to wear and easily fit in the rear door pockets when folded, but unless you or your kids remember to switch them off after using them, you'll be replacing an awful lot of batteries.

I didn't want the RSE system in my car, but the UK plant screwed up and installed it on my special order LR4 anyway. I grudgingly took it (the dealer sweetened the pill by knocking off an extra grand for the screw-up), but now I am kinda glad it's back there. Unlike a tablet, the RSE is always with me in the car ready to play the "emergency stash" of 20 or so DVDs I keep in the glovebox for my kids, its battery never dies. And I am rediscovering several old DVD-Audio discs I had all but forgotten in the house through the Harman Kardon Logic7 (I am sure the new 825W Meridian premium sound system will be every bit as good or better on the 2014s), they really sound awesome in DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after market was much mess expensive for us...plus you can have them installed in your future cars head rest if you trade your LR in ever.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a couple portable DVD players for the kids. That's what my kids prefer. Between the DVD players and iPads they can each do/watch whatever they want.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me ask about the RES vs tablets from another perspective. I have always had trouble with motion sickness. Far less now than when I was a kid. Sitting in the back seat was risk. Reading in the back seat was asking for, well, you know what. So in those cases would looking at the RES screens be better than holding a tablet/iPad or even a book in my lap and reading it? Anyone have experience with this? ;-)

lr4amk

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who just bought a 2104 LR4 and has a 19-month-old daughter, I/we debated the RES as well…

1) Kids have to facing backwards for at least 2 years. So, there are 2 years gone, if considering buying the RES for only that purpose.
2) DVDs are a pain to carry around, unless you know enough about computers to do the USB digital movies +/- ripping DVDs to a USB
3) You/your (grand)child will likely have a iPad, iPhone, or other similar device with games, educational items, and other apps, along with the capability of playing all forms of digital media. (also look at FisherPrice for protective cases for these devices for kids)
4) When you go into a restaurant or go shopping, you can't take off the RES headrest and carry it in with you. HAHA!
5) spend $2500 for the RES or spend $300-$500 on an iPad or iPad mini and spend the other $2000 on movies, shows, apps, LR4 accessories, a camera, or College Savings Plan.

As your can infer, we didn't go with the RES. Although the LR4 looks good with it in there, it still is awesome without it!
Hope this helps.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife gets car sick pretty easily, and doesnt have an issue with the factory system. She also raves about the sound quality of the headphones.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have it, but I had a loaner that had it installed and it was pretty cool. Like Umberto said, the sound quality was amazing.

We don't have any TV in the house, so instead of sneaking it on my laptop maybe I should have gotten RSE. Haha!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Now you guys have me rethinking this for purely selfish reasons.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a portable DVD player? Get an IPad and you are ready to go. We had the RES on our minivan days, we have twins, and never again. We use two Ipads. I have two Grip Daddy V2 holders for them and they work great. Sturdy , safe and don't bother the person on the front seat. The best $120 ever, for two that is. Now, what I thought was a waste of money (but I got anyway) was the arm rest cooler. To be honest, I still think it is a waste of money, but that's just me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72