New Guy With Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derby

Reaction score
I have been in the market for a mid/full size SUV.
I have been looking at all the vanilla models (Ford, GMC )
I stopped at a used dealer today and they had an 07 Lr3 with 152k. I had not really thought of a LR in the past until I saw this unit on the lot. It really caught my eye.

So here I am trying to get some input on the LR. I have read good and bad about them.
I drive 110 miles round trip to work so the miles will add up quick in the winter. This would be a third car with primary usage in foul weather.

ALL input would be appreciated!

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas mileage is bad i enjoy mine the control arm bushings are a weak point. I think i get 14mpg if your driving that much for work and worry about the winter roads i would grab a a4 quattro they are great in the winter and really good gas mileage. If its the 1.8t just my .02

derby

Reaction score
So, the 17-19 mpg highway claims are just that claims?
I had read about the lower control arms, there was also some talk of under engineered tie rods and having the fuel rail and injectors cleaned at regular intervals?
I had ran the A4 buy the wife she really wants a SUV. I would drive an A4 but have to please everyone.
We would use this off road from time to time, and the Quattro wouldn't work out for that.
I had thought about a Jeep but I was told they suck on gas and ride rough.

waspjr123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mean me and my wife love the lr3 is rides nice if you can keep aired up wich is normal maintenance kinda stuff as far as the pump and air dryer. And they are awesome off road and have plenty of add ons as far as roof racks and such. It also seats 7 and all the rows of seats fold down so you can load it up if you want. It also has a lil cooler box for keeping things chilled

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 50+ miles highway everyday for work. I get between 17-19 highway with a 2006.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 with almost 180K and a ****** commute of 80 miles per day. I still get 19-20 highway, high teens with mixed use commute and as low as 14-15 with a lot of around town driving. I looked hard at an a4 TDI or VW JSW TDI. I just see too many accidents on the way in to work every day and wanted to be in the bigger vehicle, plus I enjoy driving it.

The only issue I see with your 2007 is high mileage. If you already know you're going to be putting a lot onto it, pick up something under 100K. If you do that, you may still be able to negotiate an after market extended warranty should anything major go wrong in the first few months of use.

All that said, it's the most stable car I have ever owned over 100K. Everything is still rock solid other than normal wear and tear. It's a solid vehicle. Check your vehicle history, but I suspect the former owner got rid of all the gremlins already and it's probably a solid car since they kept it for so many miles. If it's unreliable, you'll see a few prior owners. If it only has one prior owner, it's likely a good car. $.02

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2005 LR3 since it was new and now have 166k miles. My annual service "budget" is around $5k per year, which in my thinking is less than car payments on a new car. The LR3 is a great vehicle and once you hit the low to mid 100k miles stuff wears out. So be prepared for that but otherwise enjoy the ride. IMHO I don't believe LRs have more repairs, but they cost more to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72