Anyone have 3 car seats in 2nd row?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only do I have no latch mounts, but the seat belt does not have a ratchet feature which means you need to use a locking-clip (piece of metal). Very not cool and a PITA to install which means you never want to touch this but should frequently check that it does not come loose.

Mine - a 2013 - will ratchet, but only after you pull out virtually the entire seat belt from the spindle and SLOWLY retract it as you pass it through the rear of the car seat and latch it. Like I said, an unbelievable PITA to set it just right. The best part is when my older daughter, who is 11 and sits with no booster on the outboard RH side of the second row (so I can still knock down that seat to access the third row if and when I have to) accidentally unlatches the middle seat belt instead of hers... Have to start again from scratch. :mad:

Raj1

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, everyone. I am convinced to have my 3 kids seated in the 2nd row now.

So is it true that the 2nd row seats do not slide aft and back? If so, if someone had to go to the 3rd row seats, the only option would be from the trunk/ rear door, correct?

Any idea if LR4 might allow sliding seats like an infinity qx60?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Discovery (2016) will have sliding seats as the Discovery Sport has today. While retain the ability to configure the cargo floor space in various ways including flat. Per my dealer service lead who is pretty clued into this stuff. But not until then.

Raj1

Reaction score
The new Discovery (2016) will have sliding seats as the Discovery Sport has today. While retain the ability to configure the cargo floor space in various ways including flat. Per my dealer service lead who is pretty clued into this stuff. But not until then.
Thanks Danrhiggins. Sorry - I am new to this but is the LR4 the same as Discovery? If so, then with the sliding seats, it should meet my configuration requirements with 3 narrow car seats in 2nd row and ability to squeeze in to the 3rd row of needed.

Any idea when we can order the new 2016 LR4?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Discovery will look nothing like the current LR4. It will likely be introduced next year as a 2017 model to replace the outgoing LR4 on an entirely new, lightweight aluminum platform, currently used for the new Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. Our beloved LR4 will probably carry on one more model year into 2016 - virtually unchanged and with no sliding or reclining 2nd row seats, sorry.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Sorry. I should have been more clear. The sliding seats should appear in the totally new/different "Discovery" which will essentially be a larger version of the Discovery Sport (which you can view online) with, of course, some additional capabilities. My dealer said "2016" but that may be late 2016 with delivery in 2017? Or maybe he was just guessing.

Bottom line - no sliding seats for the LR4. And in a couple years - no LR4.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I read somewhere that LR signed a contract to debut the new Discovery at the European Motor Show. True or not I cannot confirm, but it was a snippet within a longer post and it seemed legit.

That would put the launch in January 2016, so I imagine it would be a 2017 model whenever it is actually released.

Raj1

Reaction score
Yes. Sorry. I should have been more clear. The sliding seats should appear in the totally new/different "Discovery" which will essentially be a larger version of the Discovery Sport (which you can view online) with, of course, some additional capabilities. My dealer said "2016" but that may be late 2016 with delivery in 2017? Or maybe he was just guessing.

Bottom line - no sliding seats for the LR4. And in a couple years - no LR4.

I checked out the Discovery Sport today - very small for my needs. Is it scary that a car model I buy will not be in production in 1 year? Wont that impact the cost of parts?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto manufacturers stock parts for 10 years from the time a model production ends. Even after that, parts remain in inventory for some time, so it should not affect anything in terms of price or availability.

Actually, parts for brand new models will be much harder to get as the whole chain of production and supply takes some time to get into swing.

mark234.ms

Reaction score
We had seating problems so we bought a 1984 csw we have 7 children and 2 adults while the children are in school we use our 300tdi discovery all the defender has lap belts fitted to the rear 6 seats and standard belt in the front and middle rows the front row middle seat has been removed for a cubby box but we got a good deal on insurance a quarter of the price of the minibus that we had before

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72