How much weight in cargo area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vfly172

Reaction score
With the air suspension how much can you safely put in the trunk space for a 2 hour trip on the highway?

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at your door sticker, it will have a payload weight and your axle capacities.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual gives a general rating, but the door sticker is specific to your vehicle and takes in to account any "extras" installed at the factory that can impact your payload capacity.

What I do is:
Load up.
Drive through a weigh station and check:
Front axel weight
Rear axel weight
Gross vehicle weight

Admittedly I do this with my other truck I tow with, not the LR3, but the concept is the same!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"payload" rating is close enough which includes any passengers. I don't think the "options" can add up to much. 3rd row seats weigh about 80 lbs though (removed mine and weighed for curiosity) and rear hvac may add a few so you could assign 100ish lbs to those.

I'd also think the safety aspect has more to do with speed up to a point. Rolling 50 mph on side roads you could "safely" haul a lot more lbs than 80 mph down the interstate in the event of an unplanned interaction with animal, other vehicle or bad road conditions.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"payload" rating is close enough which includes any passengers. I don't think the "options" can add up to much. 3rd row seats weigh about 80 lbs though (removed mine and weighed for curiosity) and rear hvac may add a few so you could assign 100ish lbs to those.

I'd also think the safety aspect has more to do with speed up to a point. Rolling 50 mph on side roads you could "safely" haul a lot more lbs than 80 mph down the interstate in the event of an unplanned interaction with animal, other vehicle or bad road conditions.

+1 on the safety aspect. many people have never even had a hard stop with cargo and know what really happens. I use the factory cargo barrier in my LR4 for this reason and I also use the tie downs.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have transported many refigerators a long distance in my LR3 with no issues, and a piano once (loaded with a fork lift and the back sank quite a bit until it adjusted when on).

Just don't be racing people and take it easy I think you will be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72