Go Back   Land Rover and Range Rover Forums > Technical Discussions > LR3

Sponsored Ads
Register or log in to remove these ads.

LR3 technical discussions for the LR3

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
LRB
Landy Man

Exhaust Noise In Engine bay?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Does anyone get an almost Exhaust leak noise from engine bay under acceleration.? When windows are down I can hear this noise like putt...putt...putt. Happens all the time....LR tells me they cant find an exhaust leak, possibly normal. 2005 Lr3 v8 70kmiles

LRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Trynian
Full Access Member

Mine had one that was just at joint where exhaust lines attach to the manafold. There is a gasket there, I caught it early and just tightend to bolts a little and it was gone.

Only way to find it is look around with the engine running and try not to burn yourself.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
kingfishgrapeja
Full Access Member

Thank YOU. Mine does this all the time even louder when it is cold. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and they always tell me that it is just the injectors which is BS. It sounds like a cracked manifold but I can't find it for the life of me. I've tried to get at the manifold bolts to retorque them to no avail...actually I could reach two IIRC. I have 7K of warranty left so it looks like I need to find another dealer soon.

Trynian do you know specifically where you found your leak? Mine is on the left but I can't pin it down.
kingfishgrapeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Trynian
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfishgrapeja View Post
Thank YOU. Mine does this all the time even louder when it is cold. I've had it to the dealer 3 times and they always tell me that it is just the injectors which is BS. It sounds like a cracked manifold but I can't find it for the life of me. I've tried to get at the manifold bolts to retorque them to no avail...actually I could reach two IIRC. I have 7K of warranty left so it looks like I need to find another dealer soon.

Trynian do you know specifically where you found your leak? Mine is on the left but I can't pin it down.
Mine was on the passenger side or right side just where the exhaust system bolts on to the manifold. With the under engine bottom plate off and starting the engine cold I could get a hand up there to feel the exhaust blowing in my hand just a bit without it getting to hot.

Then used a long extension socket to tighten it up while warm.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Team Jeff
Premium Member

I have what I believe is the same issue. The dealer checked my exhaust system & found no leaks... the service manager thinks its lifter noise, but wont fix it (yet) under warranty because he does not think its "bad enough" to worry about - I of course disagree.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
e24kgold
Full Access Member

I have a constant ticking on my V8, 2 dealers have told me its normal
e24kgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Mr.BigsLR3
Full Access Member

Hey Gents...

I had this same thing. Had the rig in for service - same deal. "Normal condition." BS. The sound sounded much like the exhaust was choked. Then combine a slight "tick". I had a feeling it might be the valvetrain. sooo...

Here's a suggestion before you go tightening. Seem to work for me. With my older Porsches, the engines would get gunked up in time. Just before every oil change, I would run a bottle of "Techron" through the system. The stuff works really well to clean out all the crap and build up.

Following that I would change the oil with Mobil 1 5W30. So far, the engine is MUCH quieter. So much so the wifey actually noticed it too. Engine now has the usual V8 rumble.

Food for thought.

Current Loves:
2007 Land Rover LR3 SE7 - Java Black
Nissan Murano (hers)

Last edited by Mr.BigsLR3; 05-14-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Mr.BigsLR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
kingfishgrapeja
Full Access Member

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to plug the exhaust and see if it gets louder.
kingfishgrapeja is offline   Reply With Quote