Engine smell when flogging it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting more confident in the 5.0 V8 dependability, regardless of all the trash talk about reliability. I found that 4th gear is my favorite because of the speed and acceleration on the freeway. The powerband is pretty wide and it will hold gear nicely all the way to redline.

But regardless of what gear it is in, when I do a WOT sprint I smell exhaust coming into the cab. Like it has a lot of carbon build-up and its burning off or something. The smell reproduces every time and I'm wanting to run it up a steep long grade to burn that **** off or at least try to eliminate carbon build-up as the smell source, but the reality is all that smell should be going out the tailpipe. At least that is the theory. All my other vehicles have burned clean. Every other vehicle I can still smell the engine when getting on it, but it doesn't stink like this. Does anyone get an engine or exhaust stink in the cab when they nail it and hold it there to make a pass or for whatever reason?

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SCV6 and I can smell mine when I get in it. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, I’ve always attributed it to the ac vents pulling outside air and not being able to permanently keep recycle mode on.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SCV6 and I can smell mine when I get in it. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, I’ve always attributed it to the ac vents pulling outside air and not being able to permanently keep recycle mode on.
Interesting thought about the AC vents. I'll try turning on recirc and then nail it.

I'm curious if Land Rover likes to run them rich, a live OBD2 data logging session at WOT would say how rich it is. Another indicator of an unclean burn is soot and **** on the back of the truck. On mine its clean asf. No oil or grease residue from the tail pipe on the back of it at all.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100k miles and/or ten years.
I agree with 100k being elderly, but I disagree with the idea that nothing good comes from flogging an elderly engine. It brings a lot of joy into my life. The fire inside is still alive.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you are fine at pay to play then have at it. These things take enough TLC without flogging lol. You are rebuilding this engine anyway with some high performance version though anyway?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lied to about the high performance engine. I was told the cylinders were bored out to get more power, but it turned out to be a 308CI instead of a 305CI lol. It is a reman with updated timing chain components. But I still plan to get it installed. I just need to find someone to do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72