06 LR3 fuel gauge issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3DublinOH

Reaction score
My fuel gauge dropped to empty with a 1/2 take of gas. (Light on). Has any DIYers ever replaced the fuel sending unit? Is it inside the gas tank? I read that the gas tank needs to be replaced. Is dropping the gas take too hard for a DIYer?

Thanks for any help!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a DIY kind of thing.

First off, it may not be anything to do with the two, note two fuel level sensors inside the tank.

There is a front fuel level sensor and a rear sensor, both talking to the various computers to average out the readings. The reason for dual sensors is to resolve fuel level issues when parked on cliffs apparently, either uphill or downhill. There are also dual fuel pickups for the same reason and four roll over sensors, (not a good sign), as well as fuel cut off switches.

With any luck the problem will not be inside the tank, but somewhere else such as in the dash.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge goes wonky every now and again. Never determined the real cause of the issue, as it always goes away before i get too annoyed. I have typically gotten it to go away by unhooking the battery for a bit. Also fill it up with a new tank of gas. The dealer suggested not letting the fuel level get too low either?

Also seems to spring up when I park on my inclined driveway.

Hope that helps.

LR3DublinOH

Reaction score
Battery

I tried disconnecting the battery, but it didn't fix it. I could try leaving it unhooked overnight to see if it would make a difference. I called my dealer, and they said that they never have problems with the LR3 and the fuel gauge. I looked at all of the fuses in the engine compartment, and they all looked good. I might check the cabin fuses tomorrow.

Does anyone know if Autozone or NAPA can get a code reading off the LR3's?

Thanks!

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive gone to oreilly, they had a pretty solid one that worked with the 3

LR3DublinOH

Reaction score
Autozone

I received a code reading and the only thing they found was a error on the cruise control. The CC works fine. I unplugged the battery for a few hours and still no luck.

The only thing that was out of the order right before the gauge dropped was that I opened an unlocked door with the alarm off. Right after that I drove the car away and the gauge immediately started to drop.

I never set off the alarm, so that was the only odd thing that happened right before.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72