Clearing abs codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

camper

On the discovery II will the abs light (and it's two buddies tc and hd) turn off without going to the dealer if the fault is removed? For example if you replace a wheel sensor that is bad or even replace the abs modulator. My problem started with the light coming on then going off by itself. So I assume the faults are stored as history and each time the vehicle is started the faults (all faults) are check to see if there are any and if not the lamp is turned off.

Thanks for any help I no this has been posted a number of times but this is specifically for a 99 disco II and any other disco II that behave similarly. I do not know if they changed the ecu and fault collection in later years.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It auto checks ABS issues after each start up, if no errors it will clear at approx 5mph

Kestreljr

Reaction score
Joey-

This is now in 2 threads- sorry! Is there anyway to just turn off this blasted ABS light??!!

Thanks!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL remove the bulb..... I have removed the fuse and the bulb is going soon. But on a D2 ABS is required for alot of things that it isn't on the D1.

C

camper

Thanks joey for your answer. So On a 99 disco there is no such thing as a permanent abs fault that will not clear after 5 mph if the component that is failing is corrected. Is that correct? Because the sensors actually use a pulsed signal to the ecu it is difficult to replace the sensor with a loop of wire it would work during initial startup but when you drive off the ecu would not see the pulse and would conclude there is a fault. Is there anyway around this? Also the wabco unit itself has valves that are operated by the ecu when you start moving and I am not sure what the ecu is looking for to be able to isolate this unit for example does it just need a wire to be shorted?
Any help is appreciated. I would not like to disconnect the bulb and becuase these units(wabco) are suppose to be one of the best units out there I would like to figure out what is wrong at some point I will tear the unit down
to figure out why there is a code on it for the valve problem. It would seem that if the valves can clog up they did not put adequate filtering around the unit. There should not be loose elements that are floating around plugging the valves that could not safely be washed out of the unit by pushing the contaminates back toward the caliber. But if the fluid has to flush forward to the master cylinder then what can you do?
Camper

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I could help more, but on the D1 I don't wory about ABS to control traction control and/or HDC, so I have just disabled the system so I don't have to deal with it.

But you are correct about the code portion. If it is fixed the light will go out after 5mph. I have no idea about the loop wire thing, but remember if you do get it to work the TC/HDC/ABS will not work properly unless you fix it correctly.

Sorry I can't help more, I just don't work on newer models often.

C

camper

Thanks joey I am trying to use the loop wire to test for continuity. But I really need to fake out the computer by letting think it is getting a valid signal from a working sensor. I guess I can just tap both wheels together up to the computer it will never know the difference. At least that would turn off the lights if the problem is a sensor. In fact I will just let the computer see the output of one wheel and input it to all the sensor inputs. The computer at 5 mph should say wonderful they are all rolling at the same speed. Not something you want to drive around on. Boy I hope the fact that many people in the d1 have sensors that dislodge would tell the computer that a wheel is locked. What else could it indicate? Well I also have to deal with problems coming in from the wabco so off to the computer wiring.

C

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72