Changing door lock actuator ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

amvauto

Hi all, anyone can help me with this, I have a 2000 Disco, changing the front passenger door lock actuator...does anyone have step-by-step info...my first question would be about how to get off the door panel without messing it up?? I am also chaning the drivers side rear air shock...details on this also would be helpfull....

Thanks.

M

markdrm1

I had the same problem with my 99 and removed several door panels several times. You need an upholstery tool. It is made like a scrw driver but the end is made to slip under the leather and pop the tabs out. Also you may find that its not your acuator thats the problem. After replacing both of mine and my doors still not workin, I found that my lock spring was broken. Not fun to replace, but it did the trick. Just look up "discovery spring" on ebay and you will see it. Much cheaper than replacing the whole mechanism.

Mark

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
I have had this happen too me soo many times... is there a way to find out if its the spring first before having to replce the actuator? two of my doors will only open if i open it from the inside, one can still lock them though by pressing on the plastic bit that sticks out at the top of the door.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be the alignment of the actuator, check to make sure it is binding.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you open the door up, you will see the mount that the actuator is attached to. feel for any binding, then if you don't notice any, lock and unlock the door via the remove while adjusting (bending the mount till it works correctly) small adjustments are best.

nowearshoes

Reaction score
Same problem with my 98 disco and it was the spring. As Mark said you can buy the springs on ebay. Buy the set for all of the doors..........$5.00 or so. The pack comes with a pic as well.

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
series 2 has the actuator built into the latch.
1. Remove inside door panel.
a. remove 7 phillips screws (4 on bottom, 2 in center, and one behind inside door handle)
b. pry panel off. the door trim tool does come in handy here.
2. Remove window frame. (You can do it without this step but it is way more of a headache.)
a. remove 2 torx (t-40 i think) screws on the fore and aft of door.
b. remove bottom of plastic weather shedder for access.
c. Remove 2 10mm bolts at bottom of window frame.
d. Remove 1 13mm bolt just below where the mirror is at.
e. Remove the inside black piece in front of the window glass.
f. Remove trim behind mirror.
g. Disconnect mirror connector. You have to push it though the hole when you pull the frame up. It is a tight fit but it goes through.
h. Pull window frame up and out. The glass will be fine in the up position, don't worry about it. It will be difficult to pull the frame past the bolt hole bungs welded to it, but it isn't that bad.
i. Remove inside door lock rod from latch. It pops out towards the outside of the car.
j. Remove outside handle actuator rod from the outside handle. I think this has the fold over kind of holder, can't really remember.
k. disconnect electrical connector.
l. Remove 3 t-25 screws holding latch to door. They will be very tight. Make sure to use a nice torx bit in a socket.
m. Pull latch out and open little door to get to the inside latch cable.
n. Move the outside door handle latch rod to new latch.
o. Install is reverse of removal.

Before you go any further what is your actual problem?

A

amvauto

Thanks guys...here it what I did...
FIRST BUY LOCK ACTUATOR FOR $25.00 :) !!!!!!!yes $25.00
1. removed panel with flat face crowbar, no clips broken!!!!:)
2. cut plastic shield on inside of panel where the lock actuator and right below...
3. unscrewed 3 T25 tork screws holding actuator
4. unhooked line to inside door handle and wire harness for auto locks
5. unhooked steel rod from outside door handle by lifting the black plastic that is holding the rod then popping it out with a screw driver...make sure you have good lighting!!!!
6. unscrewed the bottom 10mm screw of the door/window frame, no other screws needed, you are supposed to completelyremove the frame from both side and the window...
This is what I did....I move the actuator down a little from where it was origianlly placed, pulled on the window/door frame up as much as I could without damaging anything, about 2 inches and from the inside of the door I pulled the door frame to give more space where the door frame and actuator meet, took about 15 min of jaming, pulling, shifting the actuator and door/window frame from the inside an eventually squeezed the lock out.....pain in my ass, but easier then taking apart the whole door.....
7. Then suprisingly easy to put the new acutuaor in...squeezed in pretty easy...after that...lined up the acutaor put the t25 screws to hold in place, pushed back the door/window frame and screwed that back in from inside the door, then tightened all screws, did a test and put back the panel....all in all about 30 min, to do it...and the ******** dealer wants $400, so it takes them over 2 hrs...supposedly....thanks for the help guys...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM