02 Freelander delayed crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imgcars

Reaction score
Hi all,new here. We have a 2002 Freelander that has a delayed crank almost all the time. The vehicle was brought in to us with a no start condition but tech found the truck will actualy start if you hold key in start position. This may take 30-45 seconds or longer but will all of the sudden start cranking. The vehicle always starts right up once it cranks. We have eliminated the neutral safety switch as we were looking at this as a no start. We believe this may be an immobilizer issue but as we don't see many of these at all,we're looking for any head up or wisdom that can be passed along. Thank you,in advance.
Mike :hello:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My first thoughts would be the battery, or the ECU needs a good restart (i.e. disconnect the battery overnight).

Just so you know the battery on any rover if not fully charged will cause some very odd issues. I have seen things from starting one day to not starting the next, the radio doesn't work or other weird things that just pop up.

imgcars

Reaction score
Joey,thank you for the reply. I appologize that i did forget to mention that battery is brand new in the vehicle(3 days,replaced per customer request prior to him telling us why). I'm not sure if this helps however temperature does not seem to have any effect on this starting problem at all. The vehicle can be sitting overnight or be driven around for 30 mins. and still experience the same problem.Thanks again. Mike

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi there rover tech, first check the grounds underneath the battery, and then check the starter connection to see if it is tight.

if all is good then put a new ignition switch in.

all in all should take less then a half an hour to check everything and replace the switch.

imgcars

Reaction score
Thanks sandman,we are replacing the ignition switch today and will post an update as soon as i have one. Keeping my fingers crossed!!:smile:
Thanks Mike

imgcars

Reaction score
Quick update. We installed an ignition switch this morning and have started the vehicle about 25-30 times with no problems..............yet. Gonna keep overnight just to be sure but i think it is repaired. Thanks again for the replys and suggestions. Will post when we are positive of repair. Thanks
Mike

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If not the ignition switch, then I would say an ignition silonoid...(spelling)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72