'03 SE That Could

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McIntoshFloyd

Reaction score
I just bought a completely stock '03 Discovery from a Ford Dealership in CA within the last month...61.6K when I bought it, 62.4 now.

Today I went out for my lunch break and when I started it, it gave a sluggush "little train that could" type of start up. I could feel the engine missing. Forgive my rough description. It was a rough start.

The Service Engine Light came on.

When I restarted it after leaving the restaurant, there were no problems and no problems on the way back to the office. The light remains on.

I've seen O2 sensors, spark plugs and wires posted on all the sites. I give myself to you all knowing LR gods.

I'm terrified...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Have your battery checked before it leaves you stranded.

Keith

Reaction score
Joey's right, as my lurking tells me he is pretty much all the time. I recently bought a '00 Disco with 75K miles. Had the shop that checked it out prior to my buying it fix everything they could find wrong with it (leaks) and put a new battery in it a couple weeks after I got it. That new battery made a world of difference. The thing fires up like a beast now. It would occasionally have the same problem as you're saying - mostly after sitting for several hours.

This forum is great. I read it extensively prior to making the LR leap, and man, I love my Disco.

McIntoshFloyd

Reaction score
Thanks For the Info...and an Update

This morning when I started it, it gave off a squeal. Then the Service Light blinked for less than 20 seconds.

I'm not mechanically inclined...at all. I don't think I'd try to do anything myself. I just wanted to get an idea of how much money I'd be spending and whether or not I need to set up appointments to sell bodily fluids.

Thanks again!

Keith

Reaction score
From what I have been told by The Rover Shoppe in Houston - great guys and I would suggest them to anyone - is that if the Service light comes on steady, schedule a time to bring it in at your soonest convenience. If it blinks, have it towed in. I am one to err on the side of over cautious since I am in no way a car mechanic. I mean I can check fluids and such, but I'll leave the fixing to the guys that know what they are doing.

Best of luck to you and I am curious to hear Joey and Chongo chime in here.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would get the codes read.... you can get it done free at most auto parts stores.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak