06 LR3, High Compressor usage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents,
My 06 has about 78K miles on it and had one compressor replaced about 3-4 years ago from the dealer. I have noticed that the compressor runs way more often than it used it, or so at least it seems. It runs every single time I start the vehicle, and seemingly longer than the just the normal top off. I checked around each air shock and the tank to make sure there was no obvious leaks, but it seems that if it sits for the day while i'm at work, the tank loses a good amount of pressure. (I have no way to confirm this theory)

Hoping someone here has experienced or has any ideas of places that might normally fail. I am worried the compressor will likely burn out faster or i might eventually have a leak that will render an air fault. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the EAS or IIDTOOL: http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool.html
You can monitor the tank pressure and compressor temperature (among many other things). Its really a must have for maintaining these trucks as they get older.

I had a slow leak when it was cold in my front valve block that was burning out compressors every winter. Took a couple years and compressor rebuilds to figure it out, but luckily that was an easy DIY fix.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Morris. As for your EAS, there was a new software patch a while back and it impacted the galley pressure that the tank maintains and I believe introduced a "venting" action at the end of any tank fill and/or commanded EAS raise.

....don't worry, bbyer will be along at any moment now to inundate you with more information than you can possibly process in one read. God bless 'im for that!

:)

Best of luck

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I was really looking for an excuse to get an IID tool, this might just be it. I have a shipping request out to Island 4x4 in the UK, they are about $250 less than anywhere in the States for the BT model. Was hoping to find a used one already over here, but that is unlikely.

Houm_WA,
do you know if the software patch can be installed via the IIDtool?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, sorry. I think if anything you can install it using the fancier BT model of the IIDTool, which I don't have. If it's any consolation, it's not terribly expensive to get done at the dealership. You'll need to get the new relay as well.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the call and have a BT GAP tool on the way. I'll report my findings. Thanks gents for the nudge in making the purchase, I should have done it a while ago.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob. It's a great piece of kit; you'll love it.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor in my LR3 is about 4 and a half years old. I refreshed the compressor dryer a few months ago, and I immediately noticed a difference; the compressor wasn't running as long when I started the vehicle. The refresh basically involved removing the desiccant from the dryer, using a strainer to filter out the desiccant power that was clogging up the filter, putting the desiccant in a toaster oven to remove excess moisture, and then re-assembling. If you have the time and energy, this would be a no cost procedure that is worth trying.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip hell pie, for lazy search sake did you find a guide or something to take the guess work away?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is one link that explains how to remove the compressor:

http://tinyurl.com/otlpo8j

In my case, I opted to open the dryer and remove the desiccant. Just remove the screws on top of the dryer and carefully disassemble. No special tools needed for this. There is a spring inside but I don't recall it being so strong that things wanted to explode.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99