12 volt draw on battery when key is off no blown fuses.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven jones

Reaction score
12 volt draw on battery when key is off no blown fuses.
2006 Land Rover HSE - I had my battery go dead so I replaced it with a new one, It went dead in a few hours, I recharged the battery and drove it, and it died 45 min later with a dead battery with a smell of burning something , probably the alternator shorting. I checked the draw on the battery between the post and the connector, it had a 12 v draw like it was a dead short with the key off. I replaced the alternator and when taking the old one off I noticed something that looked like melted amber coming off the old one so it seemed that that was probably the smell. When I tested the draw after the alternator was replaced it was still 12 v. I don't want to drive it and burn another alternator. I left the meter on and pulled each fuse, there was no change in the voltage. Any Ideas what could be drawing 12 v that is not in a circuit with a fuse on it?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car is always going to have a 12v draw, computers are always going to draw some. The thing you need to figure out is how much parasitic draw you have. The factory service manual has a section on
"QUIESCENT CURRENT TESTING". That could be the issue, but are you sure your burnt alternator wasn't it?

Just monitor the voltage of the battery for a day or two and keep an eye on it. Use a clamp on amp meter to see if you have crazy current draw on your negative battery cable. etc.

rs7trout

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my LR3--1st replaced battery--new battery as your went dead fairly rapidly---then thought the battery might have been bad--so put another one on (free replacement)--then replaced alternator---still problems--then replace starter---6 months later and no issues!! Hope that helps!

Crosboro

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2010 LR2. Have had it checked by the dealer and AAA. Both said their is a constant draw. Takes about a week to **** the battery. Fortunately, the prior owner had a trickle charger put in, so just have to plug it in if I'm leaving it for more than 5 days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9