15K mile maintenance question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2008 LR3 HSE and will be reaching my 15K mark. My LandRover dealership is 120 miles away and it seems that it's really not worth driving there just for routine oil changes.

Based on my going over the LandRover passport to service booklet, there are routine inspections that are done during the 15K service. Most particularly, the reseting of the maintenance reminder, which I don't know how to do.

Should I go to my dealer for them to do the 15K oil change (and do they really do all the inspections, lubrications of door stops, etc) or should I just do it myself?

Any advice is appreciated.

Vince.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2008 LR3 HSE and will be reaching my 15K mark. My LandRover dealership is 120 miles away and it seems that it's really not worth driving there just for routine oil changes.

Based on my going over the LandRover passport to service booklet, there are routine inspections that are done during the 15K service. Most particularly, the reseting of the maintenance reminder, which I don't know how to do.

Should I go to my dealer for them to do the 15K oil change (and do they really do all the inspections, lubrications of door stops, etc) or should I just do it myself?

Any advice is appreciated.

Vince.

I think 240 miles is a long way for an oil change, but you might need to take it in to keep the LR3 within warranty.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance is included on the 08's still, so they require it in order to keep up your warranty. Better take it in.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance is included on the 08's still, so they require it in order to keep up your warranty. Better take it in.

I heard the '09's don't include maintenance.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pickle, Vince. A lot of hours in the car. Personally, I wouldn't have bought the LR if I didn't have a dealer within earshot. There are just too many little things that pop up which only a dealer can address (software upgrades, reading error codes, recalls), but I know that isn't your question.

I would not take it in just for the oil change, I would take it in when you have a list of other items and the oil change as well. This is also the time they would check to see you have all the latest software service patches loaded.

So, if you already have a few nitpicks then go. If not, wait a little past 15K to see what you do have and then bring it in. Its a land rover, something will pop up! :)

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if you already have a few nitpicks then go. If not, wait a little past 15K to see what you do have and then bring it in. Its a land rover, something will pop up! :)

Todd is right. But, the downside is that if you have to leave the LR3 for a day or two, means two trips to the dealer. Maybe best to wait for a list of problems.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I think I will go ahead and take it in for my 15K scheduled maintenance. I certainly don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

V.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I think I will go ahead and take it in for my 15K scheduled maintenance. I certainly don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

V.

LR or any maker can't require you to perform necessary scheduled service only at the LR dealership. You must, though, perform the service and be able to document it as done to spec.
Warranty coverage is a different issue, sort of. If you fail to service and prove it was done correctly (no dealer does all those stupid inspections - watch the service bay at a LR dealer when a tech actually changes you oil, same as Ed at the corner station), THEN LR could refuse to fix a related item (lubricated engine part seizes or something). LR could not refuse to fix your sunroof if you missed an oil change.
LR can not say that Ed at the corner station, who used the proper SAE spec oil and a decent name brand or even OEM filter, is not qualified for performing an oil change and so voided your warranty. Neither can LR say that Ed can't replace your worn out brake pads, or that TireRack tires are not sufficient, as basis for voiding your warranty coverage on the brake system or suspension, right? Dealers wish you believed otherwise - they're not selling cars today, so need the back end revenue to pay the bills!!

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Actually, last oil change at the LR dealer (which was a little over 3 months ago), they had put a defective filter that leaked! I took it to the local NAPA store and my friend who happens to work there replaced it with a NAPA filter. I will make sure to tell the LR guys to double check before they give me the car for my 120 mile drive back home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90