1996 Disco Dash Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTDisco

Reaction score
:confused:Hey everybody, I can't get any of my dash lights to come on. I checked all fuses and they are all good. My battery is fully charged and all my other lights come on, even the radio. I don't know what to do about it. And to make things worst I can't get it out of gear. Please help!

raymor

Reaction score
:confused:Hey everybody, I can't get any of my dash lights to come on. I checked all fuses and they are all good. My battery is fully charged and all my other lights come on, even the radio. I don't know what to do about it. And to make things worst I can't get it out of gear. Please help!

On the dash lights could the dimmer be turned all the way down. On not coming out of the park could be a stuck brake switch. If you have that rear fog light switch on the dash some times that will bypass the brake switch and allow you to get it out of Park.

GTDisco

Reaction score
None of my initial startup lights come on like they used to on the dash when I would turn the ignition. The dimmer works fine. I'll check the rear fog light like suggested but I'm also trying to find the starter relay to see if that went out. I read that in past threads. Thanks for the suggestion though.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say the dash lights please be more specific, if just the main light that light the dash up with the headlights on... I bet it is the headlight switch that is bad... if you mean the lights for oil, Check engine, SRS, etc do not come on even when you start the vehicle that is either an ECM/BECM or a bad ground.

GTDisco

Reaction score
The lights I'm talking about are the ones that should come on the dash when I turn the key to start the truck up. (engine light, oil, SRS) I was told there is power to the ignition switch but the truck does not fire up. There is no power to that set of fuses or relays. I had the battery checked out and it does have a full charge. I did the starter check by hooking it direct and it does turn on. So I'm still checking all the relays and ground connections. Wish I knew exactly which one because now it's like a wild goose chase.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start at the ECU or ECM depending on how you want to call it...

GTDisco

Reaction score
Ok thanks, that's my next step.... Anti-theft system malfunction? Maybe killing the ignition and preventing startup.?

GTDisco

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Is it possible something went wrong with the antitheft? From what I've read it might be killing the starter and ignition thus preventing start up. Well the search continues. On a side note if it is the alarm, I've never had a key fob for this 1996 Disco, will I need one if the alarm has to get cleared or reset? Just a thought.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Talked to my LR mechanic today... he said bad ignition switch... or the wiring going to it.

GTDisco

Reaction score
How can I check to see if it is the ignition switch that has gone bad? I'm assuming it's the electrical wires to the switch?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink