1996 Disco I rear view mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

amg61

I have read the threads on replacing the rear view mirrors. Thankfully, because of this forum, I contacted Donelly and they are sending me a replacement auto-dim mirror for my oil-leaking one. I have a 1996 Disco I and it is just the auto-dimming mirror. On one of the threads, "Slam", the moderator, said he would give detailed instructions on how to replace it. I would love to have a step by step way to get the existing mirror off safely, and then install the new one and hook up the connector. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
amg,

Like you, I was very nervous about doing this on my 96 - This being the nicest vehicle I've ever had and such. It was very simple though, and while purists may say that my way is not the way to do it, it sure was easy, 100% effective, and completely unnoticable.

You can remove the old mirror by simply pushing down (towards the hood, parrallel to the direction of the glass) You may have to push harder then you feel totally comforatble with - don't worry, once you do it once, you'll feel better about it.

Now, at this point, you could open up the overhead console, dig out the wiring and such, but I chose (IMHO) a Better way.

Cut the wires close to the mirror - as close as you can so you have some room to work. You should probably disconnect the battery or the fuse before you do this, since you are going to be cutting through 3 wires at once.

Once you cut that, move the old mirror out of the way, and then get the new mirror - cut the wires on that one, near to the plug, giving yourself as much wire to use as you feel comfortable with - don't worry we can hide the excess later.

so now strip about 1.5 to 2 inches of the black insulation off of both the new mirror and the wires from the roof. be careful not to cut the wires underneath.

once youve done that, strip about a quarter inch of each of the wires you have before you (3 on each) - then connect each wire to it's approriate color, one at a time, then wrap with electric tape, being as neat and tight as possible. once you've connected all 3 and made sure you've completely insulated each wire, then wrap the whole exposed wiring in the black tape.

you might as well turn the key now and test that the little green light on the mirror comes on, and the map lights if the mirror you got has those (mine did).

If all is well, then simply route the wire you have through the groove in the mirror mount and slide the mirror on, using the opposite method as when you removed it. You'll likely now have about 2 or 3 inches of extra wire in a loop. you could just leave that hanging there or simply tuck it up under the headliner. I was able to tuck the wiring up so that it was just as invisible as it was when it came from the factory.

You're done.

I'm sure someone is going to say it's easier just to take down the console and find the plug, and do it that way - In my case it certainly was not - first off I couldnt possibly imagine passing something as large as the plug on the mirror under the headliner without pulling it down far enough to possibly pull it off the roof, then I'd have a saggy headliner to worry about.

Anyway, good luck - and if you need more help feel free to email me, or if for some strange chance you are in the same part of the world as me (Connecticut) Stop by and I'd be glad to help you do this.,

A

amg61

thanks so much!!! will try this when the mirror arrives. i waas wondering how that plug would get up through the headliner. i know some have mentioned you can get to the plug near the sun-roof buttons. i'll take a peak, but even if i do find them, as you said, getting the plug past the headliner without doing damage seems difficult. while you were splicing how did you support the mirror? did you have it sit on some kind of elevation above the dashboard?

thanks again.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just held it with one hand while connecting wires with the other. Once I had the first one all connected and taped up I let it hang. I contemplated having my wife come out and hold it while I was working on it, but I let it hang and it didnt fall, so I didn't bother.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember basic splicing techniques -- intertwine the bare wires and make sure they're tight against each other. A better route (although requiring some movement in this case) would be to use butt-end connectors and tape.

A

Angelos

amg, I did it last weekend. As heem mentioned, once you do it you 'll feel better about it.
Just remove the old mirror as per heem's instructions (I also cut the wires so that I could remove it altogether) and remove the screws holding the overhead console. Let it drop and pull out the plugs and get it out of your way.
Once you do that, reach inside the rectangular opening above the light and sunroof switches and you ll see the plug on the left.
If you take a look at the new mirror plug, you can figure out the safety catches so that you can release it. when looking at it, the right safety catch is connected to a steel plate attached to the car. It wasnt too hard to pull down the headliner and pass the plug inside. I even put my hand in ! The liner is glued to ....something hard, like fiberglass or something so if you're a bit gentle you can't do any damage.
I was opting for the wire splicing approach but...on thing led to another and... :biggrin:

A

amg61

Angelos said:
amg, I did it last weekend. As heem mentioned, once you do it you 'll feel better about it.
Just remove the old mirror as per heem's instructions (I also cut the wires so that I could remove it altogether) and remove the screws holding the overhead console. Let it drop and pull out the plugs and get it out of your way.
Once you do that, reach inside the rectangular opening above the light and sunroof switches and you ll see the plug on the left.
If you take a look at the new mirror plug, you can figure out the safety catches so that you can release it. when looking at it, the right safety catch is connected to a steel plate attached to the car. It wasnt too hard to pull down the headliner and pass the plug inside. I even put my hand in ! The liner is glued to ....something hard, like fiberglass or something so if you're a bit gentle you can't do any damage.
I was opting for the wire splicing approach but...on thing led to another and... :biggrin:

WOW, what a PITA !!!!, but done successfully. THANKS for your advice, ALL of you. with all this info, I was actually able to use the plug and not splice at all, BUT, i had to unscrew and pull down the overhead panel, as you said Angelos. The biggest pain was gettng that stupid steel plate off the metal panel. As usual, just like replacing a simple rear brake light, everything on this car is a MAJOR project, but i guess that just makes us feel better if we conquer the challenge. Thanks again, to all. also, be carefull jamming your hands into this area, as i'm sure i feel tiny pieces of fiberglass stuck under my skin on my fingers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635