1996 Disco Mystery Tubes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTDisco

Reaction score
Hey everybody, while detailing the engine on my 1996 Disco, I found 2 hard plastic tubes and I'm a bit confused where or what these tubes are from. One seems to sit next to #8 spark plug and the other sits just behind the Tranny Dipstick. I put my finger at the ends of the tubes and doesn't seem to have any suction coming from them. My Disco is close to 200,00 miles and still runs strong. Any help with this question is deeply appreciated. Thanks. :proud:

Attachments

• 1996DiscoTube2.jpg
    1996DiscoTube2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 1996DiscoTube3.jpg
    1996DiscoTube3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 50

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are aspiration tubde that should lead to your diff - i.e. permitting you to go wading in water past diff case. Some Disco's came with them - some without (i.e., you could add them on after the fact as part of off-roading packages).

Ideally, they should be held up against the firewall.

Wolf

GTDisco

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply on this question. So these tubes are just left exposed?

GTDisco

Reaction score
If a Discovery has these aspiration tubes, how deep can it go wading in stock form? I don't have a body lift or raised air breather on my 1996 Discovery. Just wondering how deep some of you have gone without engine stalling.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
re: wading

If a Discovery has these aspiration tubes, how deep can it go wading in stock form? I don't have a body lift or raised air breather on my 1996 Discovery. Just wondering how deep some of you have gone without engine stalling.

Hmmm - I would not press it too far above the axle diff housing as you may splash into some unwanted areas such as the ECU (oh oh - not good!)

I think the manual says something like not much over the center hubs but that is on the safe side to be certain.

Wolf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635