1996 Discovery fuel pump problem!?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian891

Reaction score
Okay so im 17 years old and i got my 1996 disco on the road FINALLY on friday...so saturday i decide to go off roading...needless to say, i hit allot of large puddles, and stalled it in a trail 30mins from home...so after calling my buddy and being towed home and cleaning it all off before my dad would notice, my dad popped the hood and saw the muddy mess i had forgotten to wash off on the engine -_-..
SOOOO anyway, i waited overnight, and another night, and now it is monday and it still will not start. It will turn over but not start. My dad, being a mechanic, isolated the problem to this, the fuel pump will not start when the key is on accessory, nore when it is actually cranking. Sooo basically there is no fuel being pumped from the tank to the filter, then to the engine.

SO my question is this. Is it possible that I tripped something like an auto shut-off or a relay when i was trail running, hitting bbumps, and crashing through puddles?

I heard that there is a fuel pump reset button located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the fuse box under the hood. but i didnt see one :confused:

Any help at all would be GREAT guys thanks!!!

-Brian

issacd

Reaction score

Okay so im 17 years old and i got my 1996 disco on the road FINALLY on friday...so saturday i decide to go off roading...needless to say, i hit allot of large puddles, and stalled it in a trail 30mins from home...so after calling my buddy and being towed home and cleaning it all off before my dad would notice, my dad popped the hood and saw the muddy mess i had forgotten to wash off on the engine -_-..
SOOOO anyway, i waited overnight, and another night, and now it is monday and it still will not start. It will turn over but not start. My dad, being a mechanic, isolated the problem to this, the fuel pump will not start when the key is on accessory, nore when it is actually cranking. Sooo basically there is no fuel being pumped from the tank to the filter, then to the engine.

SO my question is this. Is it possible that I tripped something like an auto shut-off or a relay when i was trail running, hitting bbumps, and crashing through puddles?

I heard that there is a fuel pump reset button located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the fuse box under the hood. but i didnt see one :confused:

Any help at all would be GREAT guys thanks!!!

-Brian

Well my Disco II has a very easy to find reset button against the firewall on the passenger side. My reset button has a flat top, is about 4-5 inches tall, 1-2 inches wide and has wires coming out of the bottom.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump cut-off should be on the firewall inside the engine room.
If you were going real nuts it is possible you could have wigged-out that cut-off - the solution is simple: press the big button on top!

This sounds like it could be a relay issue possibly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99