1996 Land Rover Discovery refuses to start :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian891

Reaction score
The other day I left my lights on as my truck sat parked at a train station for a good 12 hours. Needles to say, when I got off the train, my truck would not start...or even show any signs of electrical function. Anyway, I had my friend come jump me....the alarm sounded for a few seconds until i could get my key in the door to shut it off, then started right up without a problem and I drove it home and parked it...The next morning, however, after charging it all night, the truck will not start, and the door locks will not work. I checked the release valve and it has pressure..I think that the alarm system may still be activated somehow which is stopping the engine from running...
Also, the engine will crank, but it wont run...
THANKS GUYS!!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you might have a bad battery.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a one button remote, you can re-sync it to your security.

If you have a two button remote the dealer may have to re-sync it.

This is all on the assumption it's your alarm system.

If your battery is good, try charging it overnite with the battery disconnected, then hook it up the next morning, you might get lucky.

luck,greg

bkas1977

Reaction score
Before you start the car turn the key on and see if the check engine light comes on.
If the check engine light is not on with the key in #2 position there could be a immobiliation
fault. The car will need to go to the dealer and reset. The problem is with the battery going
dead and then jumping the car. The cars alarm system sometimes looses communication
with the engine managment system. By taking it to the dealer they can remove the link
between the alarm ecu and the engine ecu ( A software fix)

skarts

Reaction score
If it were an alarm issue, would the engine acutally crank? just a thought

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Crank yes.... start no.

joey zingale

Reaction score
wont start

I have a 97 discovery, my wife did the same thing, left the lights on and needed a jump. She mixed up the cables and had pos to neg. the alarm went off, after getting things corrected it would not start. Turns out the 100amp fuse blew. This fuse is located in the box right behind the battery, By removing the cover of the fuse box you can look down to see if the fuse is blown. Simple fix, if that is the problem.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
JOEY, it would be a good start to change the fuse and hope that it didn't get to the ECU.... if so you have a lot of issues coming soon.

joey zingale

Reaction score
JOEY, it would be a good start to change the fuse and hope that it didn't get to the ECU.... if so you have a lot of issues coming soon.

no i replaced the fuser and it worked like a champ.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.... sometimes it can get by the fuse and then it gets costly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99