Help! Trying to Narrow down issue. LR4 started bucking and jolting then would not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Wyse

Reaction score
Have 2012 LR4....Sone drove it and came into driveway bucking and jolting.....I know, I know....

Car Started but would run super rough and when trying to drive (Tried to move so tow truck could perhaps get on the bed easier and not block driveway)....initially started and then would drive super rought...but then engine stopped turning over.....

Appears to me as if it is an injector issue perhaps...or timing chain issue?

My concern is that by driving it while bucking ,e etc...my son blew the engine?

How to check if the valves / timing has been damaged?

I would like to determine if perhaps I can still just replace the injectors and perhaps the engine will still work? Or if my only option is engine replacement....as there is the potential that the engine is seized and valve damage and/or timing chain is damaged preventing an easy fix....?

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s that hard to drive, it’s throwing at least one code and a check engine light. Put a scanner on it and post up the codes.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impossible to tell from this description. I’d pull codes, but otherwise probably start with a compression test. If compression is okay, then your valves are okay. If fuel injector, you might be hydrolocked, so you need to open up cylinders anyway. If compression is low, then leakdown test to see where the leak is .. valves, headgasket, etc.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like replacing the injectors would fix anything. When the engine stops turning over that means either you have a starting system problem or the engine seized.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72