1996 Land Rover Discovery Transmission and ABS Light and Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umoms

Reaction score
I just bought a 1996 Land Rover Discovery Automatic Transmission and 88k miles and I have 3 current problems I need to address.

#1 The ABS Light is On. How can I trouble shoot this?

#2 The passenger side window only goes down a few inches and gets stuck. But goes back up fine.

#3 After i lift my foot off of accelerator the vehicle jerks once or twice and then runs ok at any speeds

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. ABS should throw a code like everything else .. need to get the code.. Also check the sensors by the breaks they could be dirty (Light power washer will help) or they could have come unseated .. Do a search on ABS .. there is lots of information on the board.

2.The window units are crap (in my opinion) they have a plastic disk in a tray that operate
scissor style lifter.. A vehicle that old probably lost the plastic disk and unit has come off track..
Land Rover only sells complete units (not individual parts).. I think Chongo did a write up on a modification he made to the window unit .. again do a search..or
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11608

3. Cant help with number three.. I'm sure some of the other posters can help..

Neill

Last edited:

umoms

Reaction score
Im sorry it was the AWD drive light. How do I pop the fuse for it? Im tired of looking at it. I dont see it in the fuse manual.

umoms

Reaction score
Can i use a normal OBDII scanner to get the codes?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
AWD light? As in CDL is locked and it will tear the transfer case up if you continue to drive in this manor?

Gas pedal issue could be the CDL being locked and it is normal backlash... of it could be the U-joints haven't been lubed in a while and they are dry and need greased or even replaced.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99