1997 DI blown Head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archstud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 1997 Discovery SD with the manual five speed transmission that just recently started gurgling and then suddenly appears that the head gasket finally went.

I also have a major oil leak from the rear main seal... dealer checked it out and confirmed it.

I do love the five speed, and in the last year upgraded the tires to BFG TO/AK with a size of 245 75r16, and a brand new Old Man Emu suspension lift with the medium duty springs. I recently replaced all door lock actuators, rear door subwoofers, and I just ordered new O2 sensors NTK/NGK to install.

The engine has 202,000 km (125,500 Miles) on it and I have a dilemma as to which option to go with...

1. Repair head gasket and rear main seal while it is in the shop and fix leaking transfer case

2. Purchase a rebuild engine

3. Upgrade to a DII (only 2004 model) or LR3 (2005 model) as both fall within my budget

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I use my Discovery ("Nigel") as my daily driver, and I do camping and driving on decommissioned Forest Service Roads (FSRs) in British Columbia's back country throughout the year.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
For the cost, I would rebuild the one you have, unless you are having other issues.

archstud

Reaction score
Hi Joey,

Thank you for the reply.

I also see my spark plugs are constantly coated in oil, and I have to top up the engine oil weekly due to the rear main seal leak and blow by happening.

I was quoted $4,000 - $7,000 to repair the engine :(

Just feeling a bit overwhelmed as the timing couldn't be worse (never seems to happen when things are going well).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99