1997 Discovery Fuel system problems.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surveyor

Reaction score
Good morning all !

Trying to troubleshoot fuel pump problems. Pump is not coming on. Does anyone have a pdf of the wiring related to the relays and the fuel pump? Trying to determine if pump is getting power but not sure what the four wires going into pump on top are. I would imagine two are for pump and probably other two are for fuel gauge ?

Thanks in advance !

Doug Lewis

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be more specific as to what is happening to your truck? Do you have fuel pressure, are you aware that the pump will only turn on for 4 to 5 seconds and then go off if you don't start your engine? Have you tried using a test probe at the pump while someone is turning the key to see if you are getting power, have you check your pump fuse and relay?

surveyor

Reaction score
Hello Mike !

Sporadic problems past month. Runs great one minute........spitting and sputtering the next. Replaced fuel filter first thing.......no better.It cut off one night on I-40 and would not crank back. Went back the next morning with dolly and it cranked right up and drove onto dolly and off when I got home and ran fine. Driving the other morning and while turning a corner it just cut off and will not crank back.

No fuel pressure at schrader valve on fuel rail. Got my Dad to turn the key on while I held my ear to top of fuel pump and I do not hear it coming on at all. I have depressed the top of the inertia switch just in case and still nothing. Have a meter to check for current at pump but not sure which wire is which.

Also......with V8i which ignition do I have ? MPI, MFI, SFI, etc.........

HELP !!! Thanks!

surveyor

Reaction score
OK......had multiple issues going on. Thanks to everyones help......and after a thorough cleaning of some connectors...... I now have eliminated fuse, relay and inertia switch as being the culprits. I am getting power to the fuel pump and it is definitely not coming on at all. Unhooked fuel line upstream of fuel filter to confrm no fuel being pumped.

Soooooo............what is the groups experience........replace whole pump assembly or just the pump body cartridge ? Anyone found any good deals lately on either ?

Thanks,

Doug

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't found any good deals on a fuel pump for the 97, I have heard and read where you can replace the guts, but when I replaced mine the housing was in real bad shape, so glad I just replaced the whole unit.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about your crank sensor, if it is failing, it will not send a signal to the ECU and the Ecu won't send a signal to the pump to activate.
If you do need a pump, your 97 will probably need one of the newer ones, check with British parts of Utah and see, based on your vin which style you'll need.

surveyor

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help!!!!

Ended up taking a chance on using the part number E3270 fuel pump from Auto Zone ($ 80) and the part number FS1 fuel strainer from Auto Zone ($ 10) to rebuild my original fuel pump assembly. I ended up having to replace the original corrugated fuel line that ran from the top of the pump to the fuel outlet ****** at the top of the assembley with a piece of flexible 5/16" fuel line due to the outlet ****** on the new fuel pump being a hair smaller than the original.....but other than that it was a painless swap.

So for $ 90 dollars (plus tax) and about an hour of my time pulling out the assembly, replacing the pump & reinstalling the assembly I am back on the road. Haven't checked my fuel pressure at the rail yet but she fired right up and has been running smooth as silk ever since!

Again thanks for everyone's help. Ya'll have a great weekend.....I'm headed out to put her on the beach for a little surf fishing !

Doug

msmplumbing

Reaction score
Fuel Pump

Did you put a volt meter to the wires? That will tell you if its getting power.
Good morning all !

Trying to troubleshoot fuel pump problems. Pump is not coming on. Does anyone have a pdf of the wiring related to the relays and the fuel pump? Trying to determine if pump is getting power but not sure what the four wires going into pump on top are. I would imagine two are for pump and probably other two are for fuel gauge ?

Thanks in advance !

Doug Lewis

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9