1997 Discovery won't start if check engine light on dash isn't on position 2 of key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badcj8

Reaction score
Rather than repost I thought I would try here on this post... Mine will not start either but the check engine light does come on with all the others.

I had set the alarm off and the light on the dash bottom between guages was blinking but I managed to get that to turn off so I do not think it is the the alarm trip. Then I found this, but like I said on this one (A '96 also) the engine light does aluminate...

Cant believe this I've bought 2 rides in a row now that have been crap. A year ago to date I bought a chevy pick up and a month later it threw a rod... Now I get this one home it wont start any more... Ridiculous... :argh:

saharatj98

Reaction score
Mine was the engine ecu controller...small oblong box forward of the main engine ecu on the inner fender...This was causing the check engine light not to come on and thus, no spark...
have you checked for spark? a crank position sensor may be the most likely culprit if you do not have spark... It's about 80 bucks at Napa and about 30 minutes to replace. It is on the driver's side next to the engine block above the oil pan going into the front of the bell housing of the transmission. The crank sensor is a magnetic pick up that gets a signal off of the flywheel as it turns. It is behind a plastic cover and has two bolts holding it in, I think they are 8mm, pretty small. one on top and one on the bottom. I used a 1/4 drive socket, wobbly, 3" extension and a ratchet...It is not common, but most likely the culprit if you are not getting spark. I have 217K on my 98 and has been a great truck so they are not all bad. Let us know what you find out with fuel/spark and we will try our best to help you out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM