1998 V8 5spd Discovery... Not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beaver180

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well after years of wanting one, I finally got me a nice low milage manual 5spd V8 Discovery within my price range and I love it :proud: It's a non cat exhaust one if that helps?

Friends reckon I should have had my head read lol... maybe they're right:rolleyes:

Only had it a month and I've got problems..... It won't start

Cranks over good but doesn't "light the fire"

Has spark and can smell fuel, thought I had simply flooded it at first but hasn't gone since.

love to hear from you soon and get my wheels turning

Cheers, Paul

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a Crank Position Sensor, but hate to assume anything... more info needed.

Mileage, maintenance history, if you don't have history it is time to start a tune up list.

Plug type?
Filter changed?
Type of air filter Paper or K&N style?

The more info the better.

Beaver180

Reaction score
Hello Joey, thanks for the reply...

Not sure of the history but seems very well looked after, Has a near new looking stock air filter element. Also service records up to date, which reminds me that an oil change is about due.

Coupla weeks ago ( on two sperate occasions ) my Disco didn't start straight away, where I had to crank it over and over before it fired up... thought at the time I may have just flooded it slightly??

But now it won't.

Had a mobile auto electrician around briefly.... he checked for spark, which it had, but seemed a little eratic at times... he also listened to the injectors with a stethascope ( spelling?? ) and found the drivers side bank not working.

Auto sparky said problem could be in the ECU as each bank of injectors had ( looking at Haynes Workshop Manual wiring diagrams ) sperate wires leading back to the ECU.

As I have a "spare" Disco I removed my ECU and plugged it into the "going" vehicle... no problems, it started fine.

Now still don't know.... Any more suggestions? or should I tow it to a LandRover centre and see if anything shows on a diagonistic ( spelling again? I'm shocking!! ) tester??

One thing I will add is this 1998 is a New Zealand new vehicle and doesn't have Cats in the exhaust... so does that mean this vehicle won't have O2 sensors??

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

Beaver180

Reaction score
Had another go today at finging a fault...

Another guy said could be the airflow meter, so I swap it out of the going machine and into mine. No luck, and mine worked in other vehicle ok.

Same guy said check the fuel pump and the fuel pressure... I noticed that when ign turned on the fuel pump keeps whirring away?? thought it would auto shut off once XX pressure in system reached ( and of course it would continuely run if engine was running )

I don't have ( or know where to get, steal or borrow ) a fuel pressure gauge so I pushed in the "tyre valve" thingy on the right hand fuel injection rail. Fuel did a little faint spit and dribbled out. I did this immediately after switching ign off.

After all this I pulled the 10amp under bonnet fuse to disable the fuel pump... funny it still went??? So I thought I'd disconnect it at the pump itself. Once I pulled the plug apart at the pump I tried starting the engine to clear the fuel out..... guess what!! IT MOMENTARILY STARTED !! maybe its flooding all the time??

Could the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR be shot?? Looks like a PITA to swap that out to see

I will swap out both the Fuel injector relays tomorrow to see if one of them is buggered maybe.

Any thoughts anyone???

Desperate to get it going asap....

Cheers, Paul

I

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You should still have 2 front O2 sensors...

Rest of the issues again without being there I am sure you can understand I can guess all day but may still be wrong.

I will still guess as say the Crank Position sensor. Never hurts to change the fuel filter though.

Dusitnh

Reaction score
Any luck on locating the problem? I am experiencing the exact same problem on a 98 Discovery. Any info on success you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Dustin

Beaver180

Reaction score
Sorted Ha Ha

Any luck on locating the problem? I am experiencing the exact same problem on a 98 Discovery. Any info on success you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Dustin

Hiya Dustin,
\
It was quite simply the electronic ignition module ( next to the coil, on mine... some I note could be mounted on the side of the distributor )

The Auto Electrician was way wrong thinking problem was Fuel related.

As I noted my Disco did show signs of spark when I was tring to find the fault... this spark however was to be breaking down some and was intermittant.

Replaced the ign module and started straight up... whoo hooo !

The new electronic ign module, funnily is the same as a Ford Fiesta one!! Great because it was cheap! only NZ$42 ( which is about US$25 )

Hope this helps others :proud: and let me know how you get on there Dustin....

Now onto my next problem... water leaks, from Sunroofs I believe :confused: Good job Air Con is working to clear my windows :)

Chow for now, Paul

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Beaver180.... so the 98 Disco in NZ has a Distributor.... well that explains a few things... since here in the USA we are distributor less after 1995 on the Land Rovers.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beaver180.... so the 98 Disco in NZ has a Distributor.... well that explains a few things... since here in the USA we are distributor less after 1995 on the Land Rovers.
Hi Joey;

Yeah, who would have thought a 1998 would have a distributor in it? That was a stumper for sure.

Wolf

Beaver180

Reaction score
Hi Joey;

Yeah, who would have thought a 1998 would have a distributor in it? That was a stumper for sure.

Wolf
Many thanks guys for the hand and ideas, mine is the last of the D1's.. has the moulded guards and all, and is a 5spd manaul 3.9i.

Is there good hints for removing the head lining to trace my leaky roof??

Cheers, Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112