1999 Disco II SLS Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

coupdevill

Does anyone have any experience with the SLS not staying in the normal position? It seems that it just drops and won't come back to normal till it has been parked for a while.

C

chuck21401

We had a problem with our 99 Disco II when we first bought it. After sitting for a while the air would leak out and the rover would sit on its hind legs. Turn on the motor and the bags would reinflate to normal position, but the air compressor would run all of the time. Turned out to be a leaking air bag.

Just a couple of weeks ago we had a problem with the right side of truck staying all the way up. Turned out to be a broken SLS sensor.

So do you hear air leaking out of the your system? Does the compressor keep running? Have you visually inspected the sensors (which are on the trailing arms?

Chuck

C

coupdevill

1999 Disco II SLS Troubles Re-visited

So the real situation is that it mysteriously deflates and inflates it's self. Any ideas where I might find a leak (fault code says leak as well) that the LR dealer can't find? Any idea if it might be something else?

Coup

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chuck21401

Our disco was leaking so we took it to the dealer. Apparently it behaved while it was at the dealer and didn't deflate. They put it up on the lift, couldn't find a problem. Service guy tells us nothing is wrong. Comes back a couple of minutes later and say the situation had changed. Apparently after they back the truck out of the bay and let it sit for five minutes, the air bag relieved itself and the rover was sitting on its hind legs again. The tech went to pull the car around and found the problem....ultimately one of the air bags was leaking. Anyway, the trick with intermittent problems is to catch them in the act and show the technician. The system isn't too complicated. You have the air bags, some lines and the compressor. There are level sensors on the trailing arms. What am I missing? If the air is leaking out over a short period of time you should here it. I don't see how the bags would reinflate if the car is off. I thought the car needed to be on to run the compressor.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a possible reason why my rover seems to sit lower on one side in the rear?

C

coupdevill

After all the screwing around 7 days to be exact and after putting in a new compressor, guess what it was the airbags! Compressor coming out and I ordered the airbags from arnott for $428 overnited as opposed to $463.20 each. Life time warrenty on the arnott as well.

coup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM