2 interesting issues, looking for thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nhveedub

I've learned to let a lot of little things go, but I've got 2 odd things going on right now and I think it's time to start figuring them out.

THE ROVER: 2000 Disco, auto, 66k miles. CEL showing MAF or O2 issues that I have not resolved yet. Vehicle is basically an urban machine with no serious off-road use to speak of.

#1) Running water sound in the passenger footwell area. It sounds like bubbling water running down a bunch of rocks. It started months ago but has gotten louder now that the temperatures are consistently below freezing. The sound is not consistent. It occurs when I take a corner or punch the accelerator, but stops after a couple seconds. I'm clueless.

#2) This one scares me. Below freezing, when I place the Rover in drive, it doesn't have that familiar grab. Consequently, if I press on the gas at this point, it feels like the e-brake is frozen on, or the tires are spinning. You can feel the engine revving and the rover tilts as though it's trying to break free. If I 'rev' the engine trying to 'pop' it out, eventually the transmission 'grabs' with a solid 'thunk' like I've just been slightly rear-ended by another car. Shifts and drives fine at this point.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the source of the issues. Perhaps the issues are related. Perhaps they're just quirks of LR ownership. I dunno.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Item 1, sounds like your low on antifreeze... or you have air in the system.

Item 2, You need to let your rover warm up for a few minutes before taking off... otherwise you will be buying a new transmission.

N

nhveedub

Thanks Joey. Is there some special Land Rover antifreeze I must buy or can I buy whatever they hawk at Target? I'll take my time in the frozen mornings now too ~ Thanks again ~

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto Zone has usually stocks the correct DexCool (bright orange) coolant that Rovers like so much. The radiator is aluminum, so certain coolants are required.

Buy two. I take an old coolant carton and mix 50/50 with water and use that for fill-up's. One for the garage, one for the truck. After all - it's a Rover.

J

N

nhveedub

It barely needed any coolant. Let's see if anything changes over the next few days ~

N

nhveedub

Put about 20 miles in since the coolant top off. The gurgling sound has largely disappeared. I'm happy about that, but confused as to why being low by maybe 3 coffee cups would make such a sound. But whatever - it's fine now. :)

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - it's very strange. My 2000 Disco does the same thing. Since there's no dash indicator of possibly being low on coolant, I consider that waterfall-type sound as my warning to check the level immediately. I actually check it about once a week just to make sure now.

The only dash light that would indicate coolant being low is the temp-guage sitting in the red, and as we all should know, if you see that it could be too late. You'd think for a vehicle that has a 'testy' aluminum engine and known to lose fluids, they would have installed a low-coolant indicator light. Lord knows there's a dash warning lights for everything else... and sometimes they're actually working properly.

Call me crazy.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible you had an air bubble that was released by opening the cap and pouring in some additional quantity of coolant.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM