2000 D2 pulling to side when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been discussed previously, searching the archive is too hard :hmpf:. I either get way too many results or nothing at all.

Anyway, the 2000 D2 I recently got will pull to right side when braking and left or right while driving. Steering doesn't feel that loose. Car only has 64K miles and suspension seems pretty tight.

To make it more clear, I don't feel any torque steer. It's just that car pulls to right even if there is no change in steering wheel angle.

What could be causing this? I am familiar with McPherson and double wishbone setups where this will be caused by worn ball joint or A arm bushing but not familar with the live axle setup on Discovery.

Tires are pretty much worn too.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is pulling when braking, first make sure your air pressure is even, if it is then you have a bad brake caliper, usually the one on the drivers side when it pulls right.
If it is bad, you would be wise to check all your pads, replace both front caliper or rebuild them, then do a full 3 pint DOT 4 brake flush.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had someone twitch the steering while you put your had on every ball joint?

That's where I'd start.

Same size tires?
same pressure?
same tread?

Pulling right on braking, I'd agree with Mike, how are the rotors,pads - do the calipers hang up?

If pulling left/right while driving is "wandering", check the "toe out" (should be 1/8th" +/-)
yes, "toe out"

I used a sliding adjustable rod, worked great, then alignment shop to check.

There's no torque steer.

luck,greg

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It turned out that the issue was likely caused by the combination of two factors. 1st was over inflated (45psi) tire on driver side and underinflated (25 psi) on passenger side. 20 psi difference. I just got the truck so I assumed they should be ok. :mad:

Second factor is the loose steering gearbox. I found 10+ degree of completely free play. Adjusted and now no play. I haven't driven the truck yet but I am pretty certain this is it.

Brake was recently done, fluid flushed and all other suspension components looked tight and good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635