2000 Disco - Low to high range problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems when I try to transfer out of high range to low, there's a lot of trouble a) getting it out of high to neutral, b) then getting it into low gear, and c) getting back into high. It's almost like the linkage involved is stuck, or really not wanting the change ranges.

Is there something I should be looking into around the transmission area, cable wise that needs lubrication or replacement? Has anyone seen or heard of this problem before?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no cable, but linkage. It may need a good lubing, but the odds are this will help as well.

Try having the vehicle rolling (not more than a couple mph) shift the transmission into neutral, then shift the transfer case into low. Then shift the transmission back into drive. Doing the reverse will help put it back in high.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey - I thought about the rolling/shift idea, but was afraid of any possible damage. I like your lube idea as well. I'll poke around there this weekend and let you know if I seen any mean tranny grimlins.

Not that I see the need to use low very often, but it's best to have it working properly just in case.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breif update - Joey, you were totally correct. Just rolling a few mph and the shift into low is quite smooth. Back into high is smooth as well. Maybe I need to do this from time to time to keep the linkage working well. What's that saying ' use it or lose it ' or something like that anyway....

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You are learning, one day you will take the pebble from the masters hand.....

Just don't touch my coffee :driver:

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol - that's excellent.... no doubt about it - you are the master.

Hope to meet a few of these goofy LR forum keyboard punchers at a midwest style dirt disco soon, maybe this spring. Might even learn a few new ways to scratch up my fenders.

Cheers.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I can say for certain that not only do I have scratches, but on passenger door I have a small crease, and I have cut both rear fender wells (tires just rubbed too much) and I don't mind mud caked on my Disco for weeks at a time (I hate to wash a vehicle)

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey,

Can't seem to find a way to lube the linkage. Any suggestions outside of taking the center console appart for access? BTW, I'm also thinking about possibly doing a CDL actuator on the 2000 Disco II - would that be a problem if indeed there's a issue with that linkage running smooth or not?

Maybe doing both would **** two birds with one stone....?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to lube the linkage is to remove the center console. A CDL Actuator will not effect the High/Low linkage, but you will still want to get it fixed. Also in order to put the actuator in easily you will need to remove the center console... it only takes about 30 minutes to remove if you take your time.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid you'd say that... The CDL actuator is a great feature to have available. I will lube the low/high linkage at the same time as the install.

Should be fun. It's not the install that would be a problem, it's the wiring of the control button to the console that could cause brain freeze.

Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635