2000 Discovery2 oil leak.. where from, how hard or how much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

phreakfree

Hey guys, this my first post on this forum. I'm looking for some help with my 2000 Discovery II. It's got an oil leak, and it's pretty bad. I know they all leak but this leak drips on the collector pipe comming from the header. so it stinks, to sy the least. I thought it was comming from the oil pan seal between it and the block, but mabye it could be comming from the valve covers? It's on the drivers side and hard to see exactly where it's comming from, but I can watch it drip right onto the pipe. I'm will ing to fix it myself, provided I get a lil help from you guys. I've worked on a lot of domestic cars before, mainly mustangs and know my around a car. but I don't know how much of an endevor this is and would like to, before I get started.

sorry for the long post, but I guess I'm asking is if anyone thinks it's the valve covers over the oil pan? I can't be a heda gasket leak, cause those leak coolant, not oil from my understanding. and after all that what's involved with fixing it? any special tools? anything specific I need to know, anywhere to get a good manual, the factory one stinks? and that I just need help with this damn thing, I love it but I've gotta fix this oil, my wife's about to **** me.

Thanks for reading the long post guys.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) Take a deep breath or two :biggrin:
(2) Clean the underside of the vehicle and dry the underside of the engine as best you can
(3) Put the truck up on jackstands
(4) Let the truck sit for a while (overnight?)
(5) Get under the truck and see if you can't find the leaking spot.
(6) Post up here and let us know where the leak is, and we can help you more.

P

phreakfree

thanks for the advice, I ahve washed it ont he underside and done all that. Soory if I seem excited, I've just posted this question on a few "land rover boards" and gotten basically no response. One of the problems is, that it only really leaks after it's been run for a while (getting good and hot). By the next morning though, ti won't be leaking. but when you come home from a good long trip, it will drip like a leaky facuect (sp?).

I always believed it was comming from the oil pan gasket, because that area is the only area that I can see oil on, beseides where it drips. I will check it again tonight though and see what I can see.

thanks for the help so far, I'll report back.

D

discomike

One area that is known to leak on the 99 and newer Discos is the intake manifold gasket, may want to check that out also.
mike J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lostmybearing