2001 Discovery 2 leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordlander

Reaction score
Was dismayed to get my first leak on my 2001 Discovery 2 .After engine shuts off I am losing anti freeze in the middle front of the engine.It doesnt do it all the time .Took it to my mechanic and he pressue tested it and said it was either my water pump or intake manifold gasket .He crawled around but could not see where leak was coming from.He was busy and will look into it in depth this week.He could not see the leak but was fairly certain it was what I mentioned.Are these difficult costly jobs or could it be something else ?My mechanic is very good but doesnt know alot about Land Rovers.Doesnt leak while running and engine runs fine.Appreciate opinions. 110,000 miles and no other problems .

RCM

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my '03 DS11 and it was the bottom bolt of the water pump that was not completely tight and it was leaking around the bolt. I tightened it and 95% of the water leak was gone. It still drops a few spots that I cannot find where it is coming from. Hopefully, this will solve your problem. Good luck.

Nordlander

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to my '03 DS11 and it was the bottom bolt of the water pump that was not completely tight and it was leaking around the bolt. I tightened it and 95% of the water leak was gone. It still drops a few spots that I cannot find where it is coming from. Hopefully, this will solve your problem. Good luck.

Thanks RCM that is exactly what it was.The bottom of the 2 long 11 mm bolts that attach the water pump to the engine block was loose. My mechanic tightened the whole thing up and pressure tested the cooling system and it is good to go.He did say the top bolt could not be turned one way or another and fears that when the water pump does go that getting that top long bolt out is going to be trouble and might break.Any suggestions.

RCM

Reaction score
So you will know, I am told that Permatex makes a sealant for these bolts that does not fully harden and that what was advised for me to use, but I simply tried tightening first and that did the trick. As far as the bolt that may be seized, I really have no answer to this. I am pleased that this fixed your leak problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo