2001 Discovery 2 power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordlander

Reaction score
Recently started losing power steering fluid in my 2001 Discovery 2. No issue with steering just leakage and some noise when fluid got low . Took to shop had new pump belts ect installed . Day one out of shop( picked up after closing ) pump was very noisy until warmed up and then still a bit when turning corner . Now is starting to leak fluid again. Back in shop next week . Steers fine just loud and leaking again . Any advice ?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your D2 is like my 95 D1 the molded hose to pump inlet is a source of a leak.
The hose becomes soft and mushy while operating in a high heat enviroment as if PS fluid is attacking the rubber hose.
Make it a habit checking the hose clamps for tightness, another issue.
I'm on my third hose replacement running straight fluid without any seal swell additives.
Remove the pitman arm or drag link at the arm to check (readjust) the input shaft first before adjusting the sector shaft. By now many miles on the box it has worn in becoming a little loose especially if vehicle has been off road with oversize tyres beating up the steering box.
The PS system generates a lot of heat besides under hood temps, ******* hoses.
It should have its own cooling radiator for the system to live longer.
Have you checked the steering box itself as the cause of the leak?
Solvent wash down then a short drive vs a massive wet area trying locating the problem.
Sad to say LR purchased the rights to manufacture a two year only wonder POS box that Ford tried to use (called the Ford Box) in 67 and 68 in Ford pickups only. The input shaft seal a design failure from the start.
Hint rare these days any Ford box that was used as a swap from manual to power steering on earlier Ford pickups.
Rebuild kits NLA as of 14+ years ago from Ford at $158 a kit, OUCH!
Late 68 Ford switched over to a Saginaw box, leak proof as well not twitchy at speed like the POS Ford box.
Trust me as I have a 68 F250 (40+ years) as well a 95 D1 with that same POS design box.
In storage a rebuild kit for the D1, the 68 F250 converted to a very common plus bullet proof Saginaw box.
.....~~=o&o>.....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly the D2's are known for issues with the power steering pumps, the odds are you will need to replace the pump. Make sure to buy a good one with a warranty or you may be changing it again in a few months as some of the cheap ones don't last.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey, do the D2's Disco still use the ZF pump like used on the D1's Disco?
I keep in contact with three other D1 owners.
One 94 5-spd, one 95 5-spd, one 95 automatic not counting my 95 D1 5 spd. All of us except my 95 at 142K, the others between 160 and 190K miles with zero ZF pump problems. One had the steering box seal failure due to the input shaft bearings being too loose for the seal to maintain contact. This is why I preach about keeping and eye on the input bearing preload adjustment as well the sector shaft preload adjustment with drag link and rag joint REMOVED as like doing a bench job rebuild and adjustments.
Steering box rebuilders adjust in too much preload allowing for break in.
Overpriced hoses yes as they are crappy as well the time bomb I call the steering box.
Overall the PS system is making too much heat under street conditions. Adding a PS cooler a good plus. Ford Super Duty PS cooler (Ford Motor Company) Pt# YC3Z-3D746-AC, 6 3/8" long, 4" wide. 3/4" thick with 5MM hoses. Yup a metric world out there.
Changing out the PS fluid by mileage records as well brake fluid system bleeds annually plus adding a magnet to the PS reservoir should extend the system's life one would hope.
Sad part buying used is how much time you'll have before it also fails?
I would rather rebuild my items knowing how they were treated over the years.
Sad having to purchase a steering box rebuild kit, alternator and starter brushes, (bearings by part number in the USA) directly from England as in the USA dealerships replace items as a whole unit no rebuilding kits available. Ouch big time sucking sound of wasted money.

Joey, any word or contact from Paul Lino a commercial airline pilot living and flying up in Canada? I lost contact with Paul, any info would be great.
Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Nordlander, post: Took to shop had new pump belts ect installed . Day one out of shop( picked up after closing ) pump was very noisy until warmed up and then still a bit when turning corner . Now is starting to leak fluid again. Back in shop next week . Any advice ?

"Advice", run like hell away from that so called mechanic.
Are you sure they installed a "new pump"?
Sure sounds like a damaged used pump (almost terminally dead) vs any "new pump".
Pumps like ring & pinions, once damaged due to lack of fluid or oil (diff 90 wt) causing metal to metal contact scoring up internal metal contact areas.
No way will any pump (diff included) will self heal and be quiet again like when pump was new.
I question the honesty and mechanical ability of your mechanic.
.....~~=o&o>.....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly the D1 and D2 steering pumps are one of the 400+ things changed between the two models. If you watch a D2 steering pump you can actually see the fluid been pumped around, and they have a high failure rate even with new or rebuilt ones. One of the D2 issues other than head gaskets and front drive shafts that can cost you if you don't look after them.

Not sure I know Paul Lino...

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey i'm still trying to locate Paul Lino.
We used to chit chat as he was struggling to keep his D1 running up at the very northern part of Canada and civilization.
On the D2's PS pump change from the D1's ZF sure sounds like LR went backwards instead of forwards progress.
I bet heat is the biggest issue causing failures vs metal mechanical failures.
Wonder what the other 399 changes were also going backwards or to please the bean counters?
Wasn't it the plan for manufactures to improve their products or vehicles to win the trust of customers having their vehicles speak for themselves with improved reliability?
Expensive vehicles (LR) here not your basic Geo people mover.
Reminds me of Mercedes these days trying to sell vehicles off their reputation and quality of their 50's to 60's era vehicles.
LR or Mercedes which one is above the other in unreliability these days?
Which one has the dealership called their second home under repairs?
.....~~=o&o>.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72