2001 Discovery SE constantly WHINES!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

ggushee

I ACTUALLY HOPE THE WHINING IS JUST NORMAL......I really enjoy the vehicle otherwise. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is just the normal sounds a DISCO makes. I just really thought you would be able to hear the purr of the engine like my JEEP 5.9, LAND CRUISER, MB320 and not this whining noise which is louder than the engine sound. I would like to hear the power of the engine kick in...not the increase in the whining sound when I step on the accelerator. Thanks, Gordon

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hear power in the LR engine... are you sure you have a LR engine under the hood :) not much power under there that I know of, but it is still a blast to drive.

G

ggushee

Hey Militant,
A lot of people have told me the whining is standard DISCO noise. My DISCO whines when I start the vehicles, whines when I turn the steering wheel and whines from the moment I step on the accelerator until I reach a speed when I can no longer hear it. It really whines going up hill. I live in the Hollywood Hills above Los Angeles and the noise is so loud going up the hill that I have to turn up the radio. Doesn't mater whether going up or around a corner or even sitting in the garage.....it still whines louder than the purr of the engine. IS THIS THE NORMAL TRANSFER NOISE????

D

disco1

The whine is not normal. I have 2 Disco's and my son has one also, and none of them whine. Diagnosing problems (noises in this case) on forums is that we cannot hear the sound, so therfore, it needs to be worked through one item at a time until the solution is found.

A

ayavner

Mine does that, also a 2001 SE7 disco2. I think after everything was ruled out, it just turns out that the ACE pump is a bit whiney, and it tends to stand out since most vehicles don't have one. I am happy to report after 13,000 miles of ownership (67,000 total) that I have gotten used to it, and it hasn't caused any problems. I do however, change the ACE filter and fluid. Cheap insurance!

B

BigMike

Hey G,
I have a 2001 SE7 Dico 2 and I've driven it over the same hills from the valley to the westside. I don't recall hearing a whine. Maybe my stereo was too loud or I was too distracted by the traffic and didn't notice, but I don't think so. After we got this vehicle, my wife and I took our kids to the mountains to play in the snow. I don't recall a whine so loud that I had to crank up the stereo to drown it out. That being said, there is a whine on sharp turns that I've heard, but that's all.

Good luck with Land Rover Encino.

BigMike

G

ggushee

Whining Boise

So after many weeks and many inspections my noise is just the normal noise from the ACE pump.
My mistake was probably using the word WHINE, when I've been told that it is a WHAA noise.
And as such if your Dicovery has the ACE pump option, then this sound is continual and can get loader going up or down the hills or around a corner. I think that if I had known this before purchase I would have opted for the Discovery without the $3000 option. With that said 3 different Land Rover Service Depts. and 1 Independant mechanic all confirmed the WHAA to be from the ACE pump. So I now ride with confidence and just turn the radio up a little louder when the noise increases, but in the end, my Discovery is the best SUV I have ever had. I really enjoy it.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other words, the old Rover adage holds true again:

"That's not a noise, it's a sound." :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member