2002 Freelander - Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjhinton

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2002 Freelander with 45k miles and drove it home from the dealer. With two days sitting in the street unused. I have found that it will not start. It turns over but does not fire.

The dealer that I bought it off [Ford dealer] is playing dumb as to the cause but now I am thinking that they sold me a SUV with a known problem and forgot to mention it [no surprise really].

Question: have you experienced this and how have you addressed it.

Thanks so much.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try locking and unlocking the door with the key 4 times... if that isn't it have the battery tested to see if it is fully charged.

happyhippo

Reaction score
But you should stand on one foot with your left index finger in your right ear while doing it ;)

benjhinton

Reaction score
After four days of leaving the Freelander in the street with no luck in starting it including all manner of helpful hints including HappyHippo's, and yes I tried it - just a little desperation kicking in - the tow truck arrived and the driver puts the key in the car and it starts on his third try!

happyhippo

Reaction score
Aahhh, the fear of a tow truck can work wonders on many cars. Glad it started but you might want to see if someone can pull any codes from it to see why it wouldn't.

benjhinton

Reaction score
The garage have determined that it was a mis-behaving fuel pump. Further symptoms that they noticed that they experienced include:

1. loosing power
2. engine stopping
3. gauges flashing and changing readings quickly [while loosing power]

I have now picked it up and run it for a 100 miles and it ran great. Fantastic

Total Charges : $681
Includes
> Towing
> Diagnostics
> Parts
> Labor to install

This is not a dealership. - Lets hope that this ends this particular problem. I will also try to get their full documentation to see what codes they pulled from the computer to share.
Thanks all.

Last edited:

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has it been 3 days or 3k miles. cause if it is they should pay the bill.

they are required to.

and no they wont know squat about them. they aint fords they are rovers.

get to know a rover dealer not your ford dealer.

never buy a vehicle from a dealer that doesnt service them.

its just asking for truouble.

plus they techs dont know squat and at a rover dealer they will see problems long before they occur.

tell me does your vehicle shake upon acceleration? Do you feel it in the gas pedal. if you do you need a cv joint or two. the inners get loose and vibrate.

Seroth

Reaction score
tell me does your vehicle shake upon acceleration? Do you feel it in the gas pedal. if you do you need a cv joint or two. the inners get loose and vibrate.

hey, i'm new here but THAT is very similar to my problem with my freelander. It shakes some when it accelerates. i've been told it may have to do with the TPS, What exactly is a CV joint?

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
inner cv joint on the axle.

requires a new axle.

Seroth

Reaction score
well, i wouldn't necesarily desribe it as a "vibration', but more like a surging forward/stuttering kinda thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72