2004 Discovery Stalled while driving!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klaine1

Reaction score
my 2004 discovery stalled while driving. there is plenty of coolant and the temp gauge reads normal. however i have a coolant leak in my valley gasket i think. after 30minutes or so it will start. i'm thinking it is a problem with my anti-theft system. any suggestions?

klaine

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
mileage and any codes? Last tune up... do you have an aftermarket alarm?

klaine1

Reaction score
it has 150000 miles and the alarm came with the car. the thermostat is 2 years old. i do not know the codes.

thanks for the reply

klaine1

Reaction score
about 3 years ago i had the spark plugs and wires changed, rocker cover gaskets changed?! both coils (if there are only two), fixed coolant leaks in various places.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
150k I would suggest check fuel pressure to make sure you don't have a fuel pump going bad, or possible issues with the crank position sensor

klaine1

Reaction score
it doesn't seem like a fuel problem. it was accelerating fine all morning. it died. i pushed the inertia switch (it was not activated). after 30 minutes or so, it started and drove 10 miles or so and died again. after another 30 minutes, it started. the temp gauge was normal (though it ran hot a week or so before). the engine always seems hotter than normal but it doesn't drive like its hot.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It is either the Crank Position sensor (these tend to go bad) or a fuel issue this is my best guess.

klaine1

Reaction score
i changed the sensor (pain in my anatomy) i hope i plugged it in good. i had to unbolt the manifoldto get it on. the cover was cracked. still will not start, even after sitting awhile. i wonder if the sensor has anything to the a.c.. i have not chcked the fuel pressure. im not sure how.

thanks for your help thus far!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unbolt the mainfold? did you change the crank position sensor or the cam sensor?

klaine1

Reaction score
sorry. i changed the crank position sensor. i had to unbolt the pipe connected to the manifold on both sides of the engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM