2005 LR# Changing front passenger headlight advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wittersp

Reaction score
Hello, I am having problems trying to change the passenger front headlight in my 2005 LR3. I have tried the brute method of taking off the lens cap and attempting to contort my hand to change the bulb but that didn't work.

Does anyone have any advice on easily changing the headlight? I am usually not this mechanically challenged.

Thanks.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you talk about headlight unit, you should take out a front plastic grille , hold by pvc tabs( 6 of them) ,depress them and pull the grill gently forward,it should came out. Than you would have to pull two matal tabs that are located on each back side of head unit,the problem is , sometimes there are stock shot so you have to spray them with WD-40 and wait a while for good ***********.Pull the tabs up paying attention to actual tabs, aligning with holes on tracks, so you could take them out,pull headlight gently,disconnect wire harness by pressing on little tub and slowly wiggle it out of the unit .The rest should be obvious.DON'T BREAK THE HEADLIGHT( IT IS A 1000.00$ per unit) while prying out metal tabs,use flat curved screwdriver.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an owners manual? It's in there with pictures! :).

If not, PM me your email and I can take pictures of our manual sometime this weekend.

J.D.

Trynian

Reaction score
Remove the grill, you will see 2 tabs that pull up to release the entire headlight assembly. Just takes a couple minutes. The tabs can be quite tight if not moved in a while. I use a looped cord to pull them up.

Scott

Reaction score
spring / clip troubles

OK, thanks to your comments, I've pulled the light out, and am ready to replace the bulb. However, i popped out the clip/spring in order to get the bulb out. Now, I can't get the clip back in. Anyone have any ideas, pictures, etc... that could help me get this puzzle back to gether?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I did was twist the base until it snapped into the housing, then turned it more until it clipped into place. Make sure your bulb is installed properly, but I don't think that would affect the way the base installed.

J.D.

Scott

Reaction score
Thanks J.D. - I also found that if the clip comes out (while pulling the old bulb) then, it is better to not tighten the screws completly, when puting in the new bulb back in, until the spring/clip is in place. The clip can get tough and needs a little "play" room. Then, tighten the screws down. Its a little like a puzzle ... but, if you do one light at a time, then you've got an original to look back at.

LR3_fan

Reaction score
I just finished replacing both front headlight bulbs on the LR3 after reading the instructions on this forum. I had to use the WD-40 and the looped cord trick (thank you Thorgal & Trynian) especially for the side tabs where there is no space for my fingers.
I did not mess around with the clip screw, and that made the bulb swap very easy.
Thank you all for a great resource.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo