2006 RR wind howl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volant95

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2006 Range Rover Supercharged and am having a weird issue. I am experiencing a loud "howl" that seems to be effected by the wind. If I'm going directly into the wind, it's much louder, if I'm going with the wind, it's not near as loud. I can even tell if it's gusty because the sound changes with the gusts. To make it even more weird, it's much worse on the drivers side than the PAX side. It's a very loud but low noise. Any ideas????

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had somewhat of a similar issue on our LR3 and it turned out to be the sunroof drains. The dealer said they knew what it was and they had heard of it before. They seemed to fix it, but now there is a kazoo sound in its place which we'll have them look at at the next service.

-Rich

volant95

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll call the dealer

A Kazoo sound???? I think the howl might be better!!!!!!!!!!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the seal on the sunroof. I had the same issue on my LR3 and the dealer fixed it. If there is even a slight gap between the body and the sunroof seal it will howl.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also LR3 related and I'm not sure that you have the same, but check the A pillar molding pieces. Mine 'whistled' on the passenger side right before it flew off onto the highway. Replaced with new clips and all is well.

volant95

Reaction score
update

FYI,

I took it to the dealer and it was the seal around the windscreen. No problems since.

petertryco

Reaction score
I have had the same problem since buying my 06 RR S/C about 4 months ago. Took it to the dealer, said it was a bad seal around windshield; they didnt want to touch it so they referred me to a glass and trim place. I haven't gone there yet.

RCM

Reaction score
I read with great interest on your post of the Range rover wind noise and I have a similar problem that Range Rover does not know how to fix. I bought a new RR Sport and it had wind noise on the left side only and seemed to be coming from the pillar between the left ft and left rear window. We have three RR dealers in our community and I have been to two of them to get the problem solved. Dealer #1 replaced the felt around the left rear window, to no avail. Dealer #2 replaced the rubber piece between the front & rear doors. Took it back to #1 and they replaced all the tires to attempt to stop the noise. No help. Finally, #1 used 2" duck tape and taped off all the windows, totally around all the doors on the left side and even the trim on the top and around the left side of the windscreen and nothing helped. The service manager drove, the manager of the dealership rode in the left rear seat and I rode in the right rear seat and the noise is/was still there. They called the regional service manager to come help and his quote was "it's a truck". I told them that I had owned 4 DS11's and not had any wind noise but this one was terrible. We went and drove 3 others that had not even been thru "make ready" and all of them did it and one was even worse than mine.

I sure hope someone out there has an idea on how to repair this so that I may tell RR how to "fix" it.

msk2503

Reaction score
I don't know about the sport but i have a 2005 RR HSE and had similar noise. Took it to the dealer and they resealed the lower cowl on front windshield problem/noise fixed and gone. Got charged $84 for labor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635