2007 LR3 MPG's - Got 18mpg skiing this week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Photoflo

Reaction score
Impressed I was able to get 18mpg on my recent 200 mile ski trip - Lots of mountain roads w/steep inclines.
My 2007 LR3 makes a nice ski vehicle!

stevens pass-1.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great picture. Sounds like a fun strip.

I agree, I take the LR3 on regular ski trips and it's awesome. First, you have the tailgate to sit on while you suit up before the day (boots and such). Second, the interior is so long you don't need a rack. Fold the middle seat flat and I'm able to slide board bags and ski right up the center and still have room for 4 people.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bmw wagon is the usual winter vehicle unless really nasty like we had a few times this winter but this year the 7" wide studded Nokian E load tires were simply beyond amazing and I've used a few different brands inane different conditions from sub 0F to deep slush type snow and hard ice.

There are very few E load studded choices out there but Nokian makes these in 2 sizes I'd use on an LR3/4. 245/75-17 and 275/65-18. Although the narrower is by far superior with about 10% higher ground pressure and slicing right through slushy stuff.

IMG_7945.JPG

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressed I was able to get 18mpg on my recent 200 mile ski trip - Lots of mountain roads w/steep inclines.

You may find that you'll end up with higher winter mpg due to driving a little slower than summer . The LR3 really does best 55-65 whereas my wagon is almost the same up to 72-76 mph avg due to higher torque, aerodynamics, and weight to rolling resistance factors. It's a heavy car but sleek w 420 lb-ft torque which is love to have in the rover :(

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nokians ROCK! I love my Hakkas.

Yeah, I have the R2 in run flat on the bmw and a new set of old stock WRG2 for the Audi next fall. Running out the Pirelli Sotozero on the Audi this summer seeing as it's mostly a commuter car whereas the BMW or rover are the trip cars.

Honestly, the rover does very well in all but the very worst conditions on the Michelin MS2 winter tires that are a winter-ish compound of the standard M/S-2, both E load 275/65-18 run at 54 psi unless on dirt.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the Hakkas (the non-studded version, I think the "SUV" ones, but I don't really remember) for about 3 years now. I wore them when I took the LR3 to the Yukon Territory. They did awesome. I've had them in snow as deep as 14" and they were rock solid. Deeper than that and I'd say the MT/Rs have the edge in performance.

The Nokes do great on cold, wet pavement though, too...and would out-perform the MT/Rs on packed snow/ice, say on concrete. Overall I'm really happy with my tire choices.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72